Warming Without a Brewbelt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beano

Regular Guy
Reaction score
Recently my daughter and granddaughter moved in with us (wife & I) and I was forced back into the cold dark recesses of the house to make my wine. Fu I say, but what can a guy do, right? It's chilly back there, 55-60 degrees. I dont have a brew belt and its hard to ferment wine in these temps so I came up with this simple idea and it seems to be working well. I have placed a trouble light (like you use to work on your car with) under a soda crate with a 40 watt bulb and set the primary on top of the crate with the light centered under it and draped a large piece of fabric over it to contain the heat. Temp is about 75 degrees and it is working great.
Just wanted to share an idea with the rest of you who might benefit from a quick and easy solution to a problem.

Beano Joe

DSCF2474.jpg

DSCF2475.jpg

if that is a linoleum floor, I would put the light on something to protect the floor.

I admire your inventiveness but I'd also be concerned about safety issues. Would something like a UL listed heating pad bought from a pharmacy accomplish the same heating effect while being a safer solution? Maybe 2 brew belts on the bucket?

I used a aquarium heat pad that was being used to heat my hermit crabs tank.
I secure it on the side of the bucket with a bungee cord on the lowest portion of the bucket, usually around the 1 gallon mark. I then create a blanket form over atop of the bucket by draping many many heavy blankets, shirts, sweat shirts over the bucket (making sure none of it touches the heat pad).
This all ontop of an old thick, sturdy coffee table which takes place in my basement. My basement is usually 65 F this time of year.
This weekend I was able to raise the temp of my apple cider from 55F to 68F in 24 hours.
Once fermantation starts I unplug the heat pad.

if that is a linoleum floor, I would put the light on something to protect the floor.

The floor is vinyl. The light does have a protective metal cover on one side facing the flooring. It is not actually touching the floor. I wouldn't use anything larger than a 40 watt bulb though.
I do think I will refine this with a milk crate instead so that the bulb is mounted in an attached fixture and up off the floor a bit more. I should just buy a brewbelt but I am being cheap here.

Could a submersible heater be used? Like the ones used in aquariums? They can be set to specific temps and are designed to be under water.

The floor is vinyl. The light does have a protective metal cover on one side facing the flooring. It is not actually touching the floor.

In my experience, the metal cover gets hot. If you have a piece of ceramic tile (8x8 or larger), that would help protect the vinyl.

I use the submersible heaters for aquarium - works good

Steve,

I think I've read that in one of your prior posts and had forgotten about that. I used to have a 100 gal. fish tank and I think I still have a box full of that stuff. I'll have to find one and see if I can get the fish gumby off of it and give it a try.
Thanks for the idea!! I'm cheap so I never throw much of anything away, much to my wifes dismay.

Beano Joe

belly warmer

be safe use a heater strip meant for just what your doing.

IMG_20141030_125142677.jpg

IMG_20141104_175927124.jpg

Steve,

I think I've read that in one of your prior posts and had forgotten about that. I used to have a 100 gal. fish tank and I think I still have a box full of that stuff. I'll have to find one and see if I can get the fish gumby off of it and give it a try.
Thanks for the idea!! I'm cheap so I never throw much of anything away, much to my wifes dismay.

Beano Joe

No, no, no! People like you and me aren't cheap we're frugal! :mny

Try this trick to warm the must. Set the primary into a tub such as a Roughneck or similar. Fill the outer part with water, put submersible aquarium heater into water. Mine self regulates at 70°.

The perfect fermentation wine heater. a water bed heater (Yes they still do exist) they are inexpensive, have a thermostatic control, and rugged, and safe. a wucket, or carboy can be set right on them, those I have will do 2 carboys at a time.

Back