Mosti Mondiale VN Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
I am going to start a Mosti Vinefera Noble Pinot Grigio tonight. I noticed that the kit came with 90 grams of oak. But according to the description on this site, this wine does not contain any oak.

Anyone know which it is?

That must be a mistake and dont think you would want an oaked pinot Grigio!

wade said:
That must be a mistake and dont think you would want an oaked pinot Grigio!

Thanks Wade, that's what I was figuring, but it's odd to have it in the box.

My next wine sitting here is an all juice Caberlot. Do you think it would be good to add these oak chips to the ones provided with that kit? I find so far most of my wines to be "under oaked", so maybe a bit more oak chips in that Caberlot would be good????

BTW, welcome back
smiley4.gif
(not that you ever really left)

It appears Mosti Pinot's come with oak. I looked around recently and indeed did fond oaked Pinot Grigio's. It appears many French Pinot's are oaked. Italian Pinot's are not. What confuses me is that the Mosti Pinot's are Italian from my interpretation but they are oaked. I have one going and I oaked it. The commercial bottle we tried was actually very good.

smurfe said:
It appears Mosti Pinot's come with oak. I looked around recently and indeed did fond oaked Pinot Grigio's. It appears many French Pinot's are oaked. Italian Pinot's are not. What confuses me is that the Mosti Pinot's are Italian from my interpretation but they are oaked. I have one going and I oaked it. The commercial bottle we tried was actually very good.

interesting....This one is the small kit, 10 liters. The label on the box indicated that the grapes were harvested in the United States. I figured Italy as well, go figure.

I have never heard of an oaked pinot grigio.

Trubador said:
smurfe said:

interesting....This one is the small kit, 10 liters. The label on the box indicated that the grapes were harvested in the United States. I figured Italy as well, go figure.

I have never heard of an oaked pinot grigio.

Well, I guess I should of said Italian style, not actual Italian juice.

any other opinions out there? To recap: Mosti VN Pinot Grigio came with 90grams of oak. Was it a mistake?

The All Juice Merlot I made from Mosti only came with 30 grams of oak. It would be hard to believe that Mosti would want a pinot grigio with three times the oak of a merlot, but who knows.

In the product description - Oak Type NONE, Oak Intensity 0.

I'll vote for "mistake".

I made the Masters Edition Pinot Grigio last year and it had no oak.

I believe it's a mistake. Most Pinot Grigio is not oaked. I haven't made the VN kit but I've done other Pinot Grigio's and no oak. But go by what you like--if you like traditional Pinot Grigio, leave out the oak. Pinot is a very light wine, I believe the oak would overpower it.

I have the Mosti Meglioli Pinot Grigio del Veneto going right now. It came with a packet of oak chips. I thought this might be a mistake as well. I emailed Mosti and it indeed is supposed to come with oak but they stated it is purely a personal preference and feel free to leave it out when I made the kit. I looked around the local wine stores and indeed did find a few oaked Pinot Grigio's.

I went ahead and added this oak packet to the kit when I started it. I just racked the wine a bit ago and gave it a taste. I have to report that it is fantastic tasting. It still tastes just like any other Pinot. The oak is very light in the background that is right in balance with the acidity of the wine. It adds a bit of body and mouthfeel as well. The wine still tastes very refreshing. I am very glad I added the oak pack to this wine.

smurfe said:
I have the Mosti Meglioli Pinot Grigio del Veneto going right now. It came with a packet of oak chips. I thought this might be a mistake as well. I emailed Mosti and it indeed is supposed to come with oak but they stated it is purely a personal preference and feel free to leave it out when I made the kit. I looked around the local wine stores and indeed did find a few oaked Pinot Grigio's.

I went ahead and added this oak packet to the kit when I started it. I just racked the wine a bit ago and gave it a taste. I have to report that it is fantastic tasting. It still tastes just like any other Pinot. The oak is very light in the background that is right in balance with the acidity of the wine. It adds a bit of body and mouthfeel as well. The wine still tastes very refreshing. I am very glad I added the oak pack to this wine.

Very interesting. I am going to have to give this some thought whether to add or not add.

Since this kit I have is a small 10 liter concentrate kit, maybe i should add that oak, not so much for the oak flavor, but for, as you say, the bit of body it might add and mouthfeel.

Thanks Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I only bottled a month ago, but the half bottle left on bottling day was excellent. I think it is getting to be about time to open a bottle, and I have high hopes for this one.

I racked to secondary and added the 90grams of oak last night. I'll post here in the fall as to how the wine turns out. I plan to drink it young given that it'sa 10 liter kit and I bought it as part of the drink one age one special.

Next to be put into the fermenter is the All Juice Caberlot!

Well, I meant to bottle this in the fall, but procrastination is a wine-makers best friend! So, I just bottled this in February, 10 months after pitching the yeast. Turned out fantastic. I didn't have real high hopes given that it was a small 10 liter kit wine, but it turned out excellent. I really don't taste the oak unless I am thinking about it and think myself into tasting it. The wine came out pretty much exactly as I would expect a Pinot Grigio to taste. kudos to Mosti on this one. I recommend it to anyone that enjoys a light chilled white wine that wants an early drinker.

Latest posts

Back