Viognier strange smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sashie

Reaction score
We picked our Viognier grapes 9/10 and had our first racking 9/24. followed the recipe in the Home Winemaking Companion.

Reracked 12/14 and added Bocksin since we noticed an odor. Would not describe it as rotten egg smell but definitely off. At first we thought it might be just a strong alcohol smell. Reracked with copper sheet again on 12/19 because no improvement but better after we did that. We reracked again 2/10 and the smell is back. The wine at this racking had very little sediment, is very clear and tastes nice. Just the smell.

We're thinking maybe we sprayed with too much sulpher??

so....we decided to reracked into plastic primary, put screen on top and put outside (30 degrees) thinking this may get rid of gasses. We bring in at night - don't want dancing raccoons.

Any thoughts??

Without any hint as to the smell, it is hard to recommend.
Is it a burnt rubber smell?
Sulfite smell?
Is the smell chemical in nature or sort of rotten?
If the wine tastes good, I am at a loss. Taste is so tied to smell...

Maybe someone else can help, sorry.
Hopefully it is just going through a stage, but viognier should have a nice aroma.

I can't tell what it smells like but not rotten more of a chemical smell. But now that we have been aerating it, it's much better. But of course we're worried about oxidation.

thanks!

before we put the viognier outside I added 1/8 per gallon (we have 3 gallons). When we rack, we always add campden tablets.

So did you add 3 campden tablets or 3/8 tsp of k-meta?

3 tablets is alright - but 3/8 tsp might be a little on the high side - which could be why you are smelling what you are smelling.

I added 3/8 of k-meta on Saturday and then put the bucket outside and the smell is better. I will probably put the viognier back in the carboy tomorrow and see what happens. So far no oxidation...

You should test this batch for S02. You can either be very high or very low. Being high will give off some strong smells and being low and youll lose this batch!!!!! What temp was this fermented at and what yeast was used?

and the ph is 3.2. Looks like way too much. any suggestions?

I wasn't careful enough.

I think the PH is alright - but the SO2 levels are high.

Just give it some time - it will dissipate out - or you could splash rack it.

update: Just bottled the viognier and the smell is gone! We left the wine in a plastic bucket outside with a screen on top for about two weeks and it seemed to cure the smell. the wine is clear and tastes good....

Latest posts

Back