Vintners Harvest Fruit Base

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Have any of you used these before and if so, thoughts? I am looking at trying one from my LHBS and noticed there is a recipe for a 5 gal. or 3 gal. batch. I would assume the 5 gal. batch would be a lot less flavor than the 3 gal. batch.
All of that got me to thinking about why couldn't you use it to make a 1 or 2 gal. batch and gain even more flavor.
These cans are 96oz. I was going to give either the marionberry or kiwi a try.

Just curious what the thoughts were on these.
Thanks.

I have read posts on this forum that the Marionberry is the least desirable of these bases. The taste is VERY THIN, almost negligible. Good to Very Good reports on allothers. I have NOT used these myself, but have 3 cans ready to use when carboys open up.

DJ, I have used these products but not to make a fruit wine. Rather, I use them to add a background flavor to a grape wine. For example, I have used Cherry with Zinfandel, Blackberry with Sangiovese, etc. I add the whole can in primary to a 6 gallon bucket of the varietal juice. The only ones I have used are Cherry, Blackberry and Red Raspberry and I found them to be excellent for my needs.

I made the plum as a 3 gal batch. Plenty of flavor. Easy fool proof directions. I did chicken out and add a few quarts fresh peaches to the primary. The plum by itself had a old dried fruit flavor. I was not impressed. The wine did loose that old dried taste and ended up rather nice. Bland to start with, but improved with age.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

So it sounds like, in general, they can be somewhat on the weak side. That is why I was wondering about using all 96oz. for 1 or 2gal., to up the flavor. Of course by doing this, that would put your per bottle cost at approx. $5-$10.

I just picked up the cherry base. planning to make 3 gal +
(maybe a quart for topping up). Would adding a few bananas
help with body?

Bill

I have used the black current and am doing the Elderberry right now. Both batches were 3 gal and have tons of flavor. I don't know if I would try it as a one gal, they are pretty stout.

I used elderberry as 5 gallon batch with some wild elderberry a had acquired nearby and it had good flavor wild berry's probably only had a pound and that's being pretty generous. I wouldn't go for a gallon recipe would think it would be way strong. in my limited opinion

I have made both the blackberry and the elderberry. I made three gallon batches and they are very nice. The blackberry is not as good as what I made from fresh, local berries, but still good.

I am still aging the elderberry - preliminary indications are very good. It's about six months old right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have used the black current and am doing the Elderberry right now. Both batches were 3 gal and have tons of flavor. I don't know if I would try it as a one gal, they are pretty stout.

IMO, there's plenty of flavor when used to make 3 gallons.

So did you just roll with the basic winemaking process or add anything special to these?
Glad to hear they turned out well as I may give one a go.

So did you just roll with the basic winemaking process or add anything special to these?
Glad to hear they turned out well as I may give one a go.

I made the blackberry (5 gallon) using 71B-1112 yeast and an initial gravity of 1.090. Backsweetened to 1.005 - no tweaks. The elderberry was a three gallon batch using Pasteur Red and an initial gravity of 1.090. Haven't decided whether to backsweeten it or not as it is pretty good dry.

I would definitely do the three-gallon recipe unless you want to add some additional fruit.

I made the blackberry (5 gallon) using 71B-1112 yeast and an initial gravity of 1.090. Backsweetened to 1.005 - no tweaks. The elderberry was a three gallon batch using Pasteur Red and an initial gravity of 1.090. Haven't decided whether to backsweeten it or not as it is pretty good dry.

I would definitely do the three-gallon recipe unless you want to add some additional fruit.

Thanks for the reply, just what I was looking for. Wasn't sure if you all were adding more tannin, fruit, etc. or just rolling with things the way they were.

I've used the cans to make gooseberry, elderberry and rhubarb with no real additions (I may have added some home grown rhubarb to the rhubarb and tweaked the acidity of the gooseberry... )

I just got the elderberry for Christmas. Did most everybody just roll with the recipe that's on the can? I was going to do a 3 gal for sure. I was mainly wondering about the acid addition. Go blindly by the recipe or actually adjust accordingly like normal? Which acid would you use for the elderberry?

Latest posts

Back