Vinting in Vegas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasScott

Vegas Vino Baby!
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

My name is Scott and I have a drinking problem...

:slp oh wait, wrong meeting place! :)

I live in Las Vegas, and have had a decent success with growing Thompson Seedless Red Flame grapes. Last year we had so many grapes I was giving them away to the neighbors as you can't eat that many grapes and still have proper functioning bowels! LOL! I figured if I could learn about other varieties to grow, I could make some vino!

Anyway, I've gotten bitten by the winemaking bug after spending time over the past couple of summers at my in-laws' place on Seneca Lake. It's nestled amoungst the wineries on Seneca Lake near Watkins Glenn.

I thought I'd post an introduction post before I start badgering everyone with my vinting questions.

VegasScott

Looks like I'm the only Vegas guy according to wade's member map.

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? :d

VegasScott

well, coming out in 3 weeks any recommendation for me 54 years and my son 27 what to do?

That's ok we all drink alone or with Buford at sometime or another by the way welcome and don't be afraid to ask question someone will answer you

Welcome to the Obsession Scott!!!:: I envy your grape dilemma, the good news is you will never have this problem again. You should look into a wine press. EBay has some good ones, or if you have carpentry skills, we bought the plans for them and made it ourselves.

Cheers!

Rob if I were heading to LV and someone had more grapes than they could handle.....just say'n

Punch buggy white!!!! No punch back! LOL Sorry I had to do it

Last edited:
Hi Scott, Welcome to the forum. I lived in Fairport, New York for about 10 years and we were right across the street from Casa Larga Vineyards. We loved the Finger Lakes area but not the snow (or "lake effect"...still shoveled like snow!). What brought you to Vegas?

Welcome Scott, My grandmother lived in Vegas for years, love that town. BTW Sweet Bug.

As for those of you asking what to do in Vegas...::

Welcome aboard!

You mean there is "another" Vegas? :)

1.1273486209.las-vegas-nm.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I dont think your in the wrong spot for drinking problems. Haha I guess the fact its wine and we make it ourselves means our drunkiness is only a part of the art, so of course it doesnt count. If they dont agree, piss on em.
:pee(them)

Love it! Thanks for the warm welcome!

As for Las Vegas, NM, I never knew that until I moved to Las Vegas, NV. I was a teacher when I first moved here and one of the ladies I taught with was from Las Cruces, NM. She filled me in. ;)

I'm VERY proud of that VW. I did 100% of the work on it. Once I'm clear to post pictures, and such I'll share some more! Its a 1966 VW Beetle with 200HP! Its fun to take to the drag strip and embarrass the V8s. :D

VegasScott

well, coming out in 3 weeks any recommendation for me 54 years and my son 27 what to do?

If you can't find something to do in Vegas and you're both over 21, there's no helping you! :)

You've got to do the strip and take in all the sites and people watch.

Once you're over the novelty of the strip, Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam, Mount Charleston, etc, are a nice change of pace.

Enjoy your stay!

VegasScott

Hi Scott, Welcome to the forum. I lived in Fairport, New York for about 10 years and we were right across the street from Casa Larga Vineyards. We loved the Finger Lakes area but not the snow (or "lake effect"...still shoveled like snow!). What brought you to Vegas?

WOW! That's real close to home! Not to give you my life's history, but I grew up in Webster, went to Penn State for college and moved back to the area just after. I owned a business in Fairport Village Landing (Where the public library is) from 1996 until 2002 when I sold it! (31F and mainstreet across from the police) I lived in East Rochester and Macedon during that time.

What brought me to Vegas? I was burnt out, hated the snow, and the economy sucked. I fell back on my teaching degree and got re-established. I moved to medical sales and haven't looked back.

How about you? What greener pastures did you move to?

VegasScott

Scott, I retired (early) in 1999 from Kodak and my wife and I moved here to be closer to our daughter and grandchildren. We really loved the Rochester area, the arts, the people, but we could not take the snow. The year before we moved we had 186" of snow. Gonzo!

What was your business in Fairport Village. We used to go to the Farmer's Market that they held there on the weekends. I lived on Vineyard Hill if you know where that is.

It was called Laser Source, Inc. At first we were an independent service center for digital imaging products. After my second year, I earned the Authorised Reseller and Service Center for HP.

Growing up there, everyone's parents worked for Xerox, Kodak, or Baush and Lomb. ;)

Its not the same anymore, and I needed the change.

VegasScott

For sure it is not the same. When I moved to Rochester in 1989, Kodak worldwide employemnt was over 125,000 and in Rochester, it was over 65,000. Today, I have no idea about worldwide, but in Rochester it is less than 10,000. It was a wonderful company and I enjoyed every moment. It is really despicable what happened to that great company. I was in Corporate Purchasing and I saw the whole thing come down. One might say it was criminal.

Its a damn shame what has happened to kodak. As an avid photographer, kodak missed the digital revolution while fuji and canon embraced it. I shoot with canon cameras, and I have to hunt to find a place that offers kodak processing for my digital prints. I usually pay more for kodak, I don't notice any better quality, but I want to support my friends and neighbors back home.

Now if I could just find some Genny beer! :)

VegasScott

Latest posts

Back