Why are my grapes dying and how do the surviving ones look like?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniyalsm

Reaction score
Hello. So I planted around 1600 plants (area of 2 acres) in February this year. I just visited my farm and got to know that around 200 of the plants have died, and some new ones are starting to die too.

Area: Sheikhupura, Pakistan
Plant varieties: Thompson Seedless, Flame Seedless, King Ruby and a few others (all table grapes)

If anyone can let me know how the overall progress is like and what could be the possible cause of plant death, I will be grateful.

Pictures for overall progress. Following the advice of some members on this board, I am letting the plants grow without any pruning this growing season. I noted that some of the plants had vigorous growth, while others were really small.

Apologies in advance for the thread being picture heavy.

A general view

IMG_0481.jpg

A small one

IMG_0479.jpg

A medium one

IMG_0480.jpg

A large one

IMG_0484.jpg

Trunk of a healthy plant

IMG_0483.jpg

A dead plant

IMG_0485.jpg

Dead plant stem

IMG_0487.jpg

A plant the workers say is dying (The plant on the left side). They believe it is some insect that eats it from underground (attacks the roots). They say it is becomes lighter in colour (yellowish before dying)

IMG_0489.jpg

Same dying plant close up of leaf

IMG_0488.jpg

Last edited:
Can you tell us if you have done any spraying for fungus or pest? How much rain have you been getting? Are the vines sitting in water for days on end? You have high heat and humidity this time of year?

Hi. So just got the details.

*Roughly 97% of plants died soon after plantation. Basically they never established a root system or something.

*Only around 5-7 plants have died due to the disease

*The soil has remained wet for a week or so only once. That was in February when they were initially planted.

*Soil is somewhat sandy so even after watering the land starts to dry out the same day.

*Temperatures were high in May and June (temperature peaked at 111 F on one day), but humidity was not high. No substantial rain either.

*Temperatures are lower now, but humidity is higher. Monsoon rains also starting.

*There have been 3 applications of chloropyrifos. 2 via spraying, and one via water.

I don't know why you cannot see the photos grapeman. I can see them embedded in the thread fine for some reason.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back