Vineyard From the Beginning- Grapeman

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, incredible to think that in some parts of the country that would actually work (as I pour water through my drip system for 45 min a day......) We are smack dab in our hottest driest part of Summer. We may hit 95 today and only about 5-8% humidity. Water disappears pretty darn fast this time of year!

Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing any irrigation in the fields around here. And I'm in the heart of the richest agricultural land on Earth. The only thought I've given on this for my vineyard is "I have a well if I ever need to put in drip lines."

It can get hot here also- will be 95 for aq few days now and then cool to the 70's and 80's, but RH is about 40-50%. The soil also has good water holding capacity the vineyard is on, but I must say, I expect some wilting before they get the roots down far enough.

grapeman,

Thanks for your help! I too have enjoyed your grape growing post. A lot of simple straight to the fact inforamtion and you don't have to read a book to find it.

srcorndog I rooted all cold climate hybrid grape vines that I currently grow for commercial use. I am definitely taking growth habits into consideration when determining the trellis kind and training systems. I am currently performing a training system trial including some of these varieties and definitely the growth habit types. This has been a multi-year trial partially funded with a USDA NE SARE Grant. I am continuing data collection in this trial and will ultimately incorporate the system that gives the best results with these growth types.

I will be giving a lot more information as this thread moves along. This is the initial establishment year for the vines and I will install the posts and initial wires this fall or early next spring.

I have been so busy lately with everything that I haven't taken new pictures of the vineyard lately.

I stopped by today to take a look and scout for insects again. The Japanese Beetles seem to have run their course and are currently missing, yeah. I have tried to keep the rows clean between the mulch and had planned to seed by now, but we have only gotten an inch of rain in the last 30 days. I thought I could get by this year without bamboo stakes as I planned on taking off most of this years growth next spring at pruning and they would only be in the way when I set the posts. After the visit, I came home and ordered 2000 bamboo stakes for immediate placement and tying up the vines. When stood up, the vines average 5 feet high. I will try to get pictures soon.

I have been so busy lately with everything that I haven't taken new pictures of the vineyard lately.

I stopped by today to take a look and scout for insects again. The Japanese Beetles seem to have run their course and are currently missing, yeah. I have tried to keep the rows clean between the mulch and had planned to seed by now, but we have only gotten an inch of rain in the last 30 days. I thought I could get by this year without bamboo stakes as I planned on taking off most of this years growth next spring at pruning and they would only be in the way when I set the posts. After the visit, I came home and ordered 2000 bamboo stakes for immediate placement and tying up the vines. When stood up, the vines average 5 feet high. I will try to get pictures soon.

Rich,

I've noticed the same thing with the Beetles. I didn't spray and hand picked them off to die in a plastic container. Yeah, I've got plenty of time on my hands.

My new vines are ~ 5-6' when stood up! I've watered when the moisture probe shows "dry". I'll have a hard time removing them from the Blue Growth Tubes as they look more like bushes than vines. They are Corot Noir and Frontenac.

Fortunately, I only have to install 21 stakes!

Cheers!
Bob

blue tubes

Great question I have blue tubes and when should you cut them loose? I live in West georgia and it want frost until late october when to cut them loose?
Charlie
I have vigerous vines and I have the watson system first year 7 feet tall.

In the north, the tubes need to be removed to allow the vines to harden off before cold freezing weather sets in. it is not as important in the south where you are. You can base your decision more on pressure from deer and rabbits or spraying protection.

Grapeman, do you ever grow on some of the cuttings in pots?

I'm trying to do that here in Florida. I started with about 100 green cuttings that grew roots under mist and I potted them up, but funguses and bugs are getting them one by one in the pots...

Any tips for growing on some of my stock in pots until the rest of the vineyard is ready to be planted?

My camera has been acting up bad all summer and fall so I didn't get much for updates to the vineyard in a LONG time. Yesterday I got a few pictures with the cell phone just to have omething to update this with.We had some during the growing season on another phone, but it got dropped and run over and we can't access the pictures.

The vines grew well this summer and the Leon Millot and Marquette grew so much they tipped over into the rows before we could stake them and the crabgrass and some weeds grew in between the rows because I couldn't get throught to work them without running over the vines. We have gotten the lower half cleaned out and staked up. We are in the process of cutting cedar posts to put the trellis in this coming spring. More on that later.
So here are a few pictures- sorry they aren't great but it will give you an idea of the progress they made this year.

IMG_20121213_154600.jpg

1355431449695.jpg

1355431504278.jpg

IMG_20121213_154409.jpg

IMG_20121213_154520.jpg

IMG_20121213_154538.jpg

Looks like it was a very good 1st year for those guys. Is this piece of property connected to the original vineyard or a ways away?

Phone pics or not, it looks fantastic!

I noticed you have your vineyard laid out with full length rows. Mine will be smaller but I'm still thinking about having a 10 foot lane down the middle with 100 foot rows on each side. Pros/Cons to having long rows without a middle access lane? Is it annoying to have to go all the way to the end of a row to get to another row?

Yeah, looks great Rich! My only question is, where do you find free time to spend on the computer?

Looks like it was a very good 1st year for those guys. Is this piece of property connected to the original vineyard or a ways away?

This piece is connected to the east side of the farm where I am located. It is on a major state highway and wouild be a much better place for a tasting room. I:HB over that location for a tasting room.

Phone pics or not, it looks fantastic!

I noticed you have your vineyard laid out with full length rows. Mine will be smaller but I'm still thinking about having a 10 foot lane down the middle with 100 foot rows on each side. Pros/Cons to having long rows without a middle access lane? Is it annoying to have to go all the way to the end of a row to get to another row?

These rows are 350 feet long and I took it from the cross road that splits it from the upper half - but only 300 foot rows. I also have a wider road running up the middle of the field lenghtways. The whole field is almost 800 feet long , but I don't count the roads and turnarounds at the ends as part of the row lenght.

Yeah, looks great Rich! My only question is, where do you find free time to spend on the computer?

It has been a challenge keeping up so I can be on the computer this year. Now for a couple months I have begun my battle for my life hopefully as a cancer survivor. I have hopefully the last test Tuesday before we come up with a treatment strategey. Makes a guy want to:dgbut I'm sure I won't be able to when I go on the chemo.

Well Rich, sorry to hear of your health issue. Having never met you, but from reading all of your posts, you have a real passion, not only for your grape growing and wine making, but it seems for life overall. With all that you do to help others on this site, I'm sure you have a survival mentality. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I know that we all will be waiting for the day that you can post that you have won the battle!

Good luck and keep us posted

Latest posts

Back