Vinator or not to Vinator - newbie question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere. B-Brite is a non-chlorine cleanser, not a sanitizer. Therefore, I first use B-Brite to clean my fermentation equipment. B-Brite is not a substitute for k-meta, or vice versa.

Iodophor is a sanitizer used in the dairy and brewing industries. I use it as my preferred sanitzer for both beer and winemaking because I am allergic to sulfites in strong concentrations (it is a quick way to constrict my breathing capacity). It will stain your equipment tan/brown, but that does not have any negative effect other than the stained look.

The difference between sodium metabisulfite and potassium metabisulfite is that the sodium is cheaper (about half price) and should not be used as a stabilizer (added to the wine) because it may leave the wine with a salty flavor. It would also affect those who want a low sodium diet. Use sodium metabisulfite only if you want to save money on your sanitizing. Potassium metabisulfite should always be used as the stabilizer and can also be used as asanitizer.

I would stick with Iodophor as a brewing sanitizer. Brewing requires a higher level of sanitation than winemaking. I think it is much more effective and easy to use.

I agree with what DfwWino said, also keep in mind that iodophor requires direct contact with the solution - so don't use it in conjunction with the vinator and beer bottles.

The vinator works so well at sanitizing wine bottles because it pumps the KMeta/NaMeta solution in and then allows it to drain out. Its actually the SO2 gas (the stuff that takes your breath away) that does the sanitizing.

Jim

Do not use K-Meta [sulfite] Solutions around your beer , carbonated Cider or sparkling Wine either near the end of fermentation....You can, but be sure to rinse with water.

Welcome Brad. I won't bother answering any questions yet. The guys all really jumped in there to answer your questions last evening. That's the nice thing about being here to ask questions. It seems there is always someone theere to help you quickly.

Nice avatar. I take it that is some rolling Kentucky Hills there the horses are grazing on.

Brad welcome, I am fairly new here also. Beautiful place you have there, nothing quite like living out in the country. My brother lives in Lexington, retired from teaching school and sells real-estate now.

Jeff

You really have all jumped in and came through for me - I hope I can do the same again and/or for others.

I am a big smoked food nut, so I am on a BBQ forum too - we entertain a lot, so this all fits in together wonderfully.

We are sitting on a bunch of land here in KY and I have been itching to grow some grapes - or a bunch, not sure. I need some direction and suggestions on that.

Yes, it is wonderful to live in the country - and here in the Bluegrass is remarkably gorgeous.

Jeff, we are just south of Lex and we are in the business as well (not Realtors though), we manage our own portfolio. Have your brother contact me sometime - does he drink wine?

Love to get together sometime, talk a little shop and share some Cabernet. We may be able to help each other.

Thanks again guys - I am sure I'll have more Qs. The Cab is still bubbling on day 6. Bubble on!

Brad Simmons

Brad check out the Home Vineyards section. A bunch of us have our own vineyards here varying in size from small to not as small.... My thread is the Champlain Valley Vineyard one. A lot of posts to go through, but I have pictures from holes in the ground through my first good sized harvest and making wine from those grapes.

Hello Brad. Welcome to the forum. I live in Louisville. I believe I drive through your area on my way to Lake Cumberland. It is good to know there are others from the Commonwealth on the forum.

Latest posts

Back