Vinator or not to Vinator - newbie question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I would like to tell you how wonderful George is for putting these videos and this forum together.

I was buying all my supplies locally at a big box liquor deal - not any more. This info is great - and how in the world can you not support people who support you so well. Thank you.

Ok, here's to the newbie silly question - I am a beer maker and this is VERY different - I love it.

I just made my first (Christmas gift from my sweetie of 22 yrs) Wine Expert Selection Intl French Cab 4 days ago and it is churning right along.

I looked at the videos - and I kinda got that I should follow the kit instructions. Then George shows using the Vinator with the sulphite. I don't believe it mentions anything about the sulphite in the kit instructions.

What do I do? Do I need a Vinator? Looks like I do.

When I was making the batch, it tells you to sanitize with the Metabisulphite - George said it would smell - mine didn't that I could tell - and I have a pretty good sniffer. Ideas here?

Thanks again to you all and to George.

Brad Simmons

I recommend getting 1 but you dont need 1, it just makes life WAY easier and you could use it with your beer bottles also, just dont use sulfite with your beer bottles as that will hinder your beer bottle fermentation. As far as sulfite solution goes it takes awhile for the smell to accumulate. Make a gallon bottle of this solution and smell it when you make it there is no smell like you say, then cap it and smell it the next day VERY CAREFULLY as it will take your breath away!

If you also brew beer I would also suggest a bottle tree. That you can use for your beer bottles and Wine bottles.

Why doesn't the kit instructions mention this? Is this a function and prep if the bottle process?

I don't mind doing it all - and buying all the fun things that will make life easier, I just want to be sure I am not missing a part - or some other part!

Heck, beer you can drink in 2 weeks, this stuff - sheesh!

kylandsales.com said:
such a silly Q, I know - my apologies. Dang newbie! :)

so the Vinator is only for shooting sanitizer up in the bottles and not to add anything else to the wine?

YES I would strongly suggest to get one for both your BEER and WINE. While you are at it get 1# of K-MET
smiley20.gif

K-meta is potassium Metabisulfite (K is the chemical name as NA is for sodium)

K- Meta slang for potassium metabisilfite...use to make sanitizer or added to your wine....

You beat me again Wade...LOL

Thank you all very much - got it!

For beer, we usually just use B-Brite, so can I use the K-Met for beer as well?

What is the difference between Potassium Metabisulfite and Sodium Metabisulfite?

kylandsales.com said:
Thank you all very much - got it!

For beer, we usually just use B-Brite, so can I use the K-Met for beer as well?

Do not useK-Mete for your beer.
You can also use idophor for your beer sanitizing
From a fellow beer brewer

is idophor better than B Brite? Heck, not sure why I need to know this - all I am going to be making is wine now - oops, I forgot the 6 mo thing - on second thought, I will be making some beer - and soon.

kylandsales.com said:
is idophor better than B Brite? .

To each his own I been using Idophor for 15 years and never had a problem This is also ano rinse

one more quick Q before I place my order - will the 18.99 Mix Stir work as well as the 30.99 one?

I have the most basic kit from the local big box liquor deal here.

So I am ordering here:

Carboy Handle for glass or plastic carboys (Large)

Carboy Dryer

24 inch Mix-Stir

Bottle Rinser Vinator

Bottle Drainer Tree - Holds 45 bottles

Wine Thief/Test Jar Combo Fermtech

Potassium Metabisulfite - Powder, 1 lb.

Cabernet Sauvignon Labels

anything else that is glaringly needed for now?

re: 24 inch Mix-Stir

If this is fordegassing get the metal one. The plastic handle breaks

BTY
You can make your own labels. I use the shipping label template 6 to a page. make original in "best color" on my printer. Then take to Staples for copies. The ink don't run that way. Oh yea. It's CHEAPER than buying labels.

good enough!

Hey, thanks for your time here - I will have more Qs in a week I am sure.

If you ever have any Qs about dry rub BBQ, I am a competition-quality BBQ guy.

Any hornet's nest pending that I should know about in the winery?

Back