Very disappointed.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalGuy

Reaction score
I started my cellar craft pinot noir wine kit in November. There's no fruit smell's, it's very flat( almost watered down taste). I tasted someone else's Pinot and it had such body to it. Jammy, black cherry, raspberry, a really good wine. I don't know what I did wrong. I even adde oak blocks to it. They have been in for two months. Almost has a musky smell to it.

How old was the one you tasted? An aged wine is way better than a young wine.

To expand on what Julie said, I wouldn't expect it to reach its final taste profile for at least nine months, especially if it was oaked. It is absolutely stunning how much both the taste and the feel of the wine change over time.

Bulk age it for six months, then bottle it. Make a few splits if you can and then taste one starting at 9-12 month. Is it the Sterling version or the Premium version?

I agree with the above. It is way too early to judge the wine. Give it 6-9 months of aging.

Patience is key.

It's the sterling version. The one I tasted, she told me that her Pinot can be ready in two months. I just can't see how that is possible. It tasted as though it has aged for two years. I was thinking this though. In a kit, you add two gallons water. If you made kit wines for a living, you would just add your existing wine instead of water, right? That would explain the full body feel to it. Because to me, mine seems watered down. That would be a good way to explain it.

Hi man if your picking up a musky smell it could be your bung needs to be cleaned. try that and re sanitize it before you put it back in . and give it more time.

Maybe the 1 you tasted was a much higher end quality kit? I prefer RJS over most other brand kits myself though!

I just took an En Primeur Pinot out of cold stabilization last weekend. The nose is fantastic, but the taste is very sour. I'm hoping that's the age talking (it just hit 6 months), but have not yet had a wine tasting like this at six months. Maybe the Pinot kits are just temperamental when they are young.

I have made the Cellar Craft Sterling Pinot Noir twice. Turned out very good both times. But I bulked mine for 4 months in carboy and 2 months in the bottle. Most for the Sterling say 6 months. I also have a EP Pinot Noir bulking aging at the moment. I have had good luck with the EP series no duds yet.

I did the Sterling Pinot in August. Had the first bottle last week and it is already quite good. Try it again in 3 more months, but 6 would be better.

Latest posts

Back