Vacuum pump screw up. Help please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
Did I screw up. When I was vacuum pumping my wine into the new carboy I didn't pay attention to the depth of my racking cane and I pushed a lot of oxygen into my wine. Will I have gas in my wine again or did I just oxidize it too much? Thanks for your help.

When splash racking, you are releasing CO2 but adding oxygen. Oxidized too much? It depends where in the process you are. If you are still fermenting then the oxygen is a good thing. If you are just at the end of fermentation, then its ok since you are probably adding some kmeta which will negate the oxygen. At least you are removing CO2. If you are later in the process then you are probably racking to remove sediment and you should add more kmeta (1/4 tsp to 5 or 6 gallons) (unless you can test for the level SO2 and then you can add an appropriate amt of kmeta).

Also, since you are vacuum splash racking, you do not have to worry about oxygen as much as if you were to do a siphon splash racking. As the CO2 get blown off, it will also blow out the air that was in the carboy fairly quickly. Many people who do not test for Free SO2 simply add kmeta at each racking.

No worries
Yes you induced a bit of oxygen - but not enough to worry - just add a pinch more sulfites

I understand you emptied the full carboy while transferring and then you pushed air directly into the wine thru the racking cane in the receiving carboy - correct ?

The flex racking cane typically stops that from happening - on my accessory page as it discharges near the neck of the Carboy and aids in degassing as well

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. I thought I messed the entire batch up. I will have to purchase the flexible hose. Thanks

Back