Quantcast

Using a 5 gal carboy in place of a 6

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

homer

Reaction score
Being new to wine making I am sure this is obvious to everyone, but me. If a recipe call for a 6 gal mix but all you have on hand is a 5 gal carboy, after clearing, racking into my 7 gallon bucket with the tap at the bottom and before bottling could I add the extra gallon of water?

I can buy 5 gal carboys for $15 but the 6 gal cost $50 plus, I know this is the wrong time to start counting pennies but curious minds. bk

xanxer82

Reaction score
you can always adjust a recipe to 5 gallons. A lot of the kitmakers say not to but just remember that you will have less at the end after the angels get their share.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
If making kits then just get your self a 1 gallon or 4 liter jug for the overage. If making fruit wines just make 5 gallon batches. Where do you get 5 gallon carboys for $15?

homer

Reaction score
Fayetteville Ar. Water jugs, but they are phasing the glass ones out for plastic. $15 bucks with or without water bk

PPBart

Reaction score
Fayetteville Ar. Water jugs, but they are phasing the glass ones out for plastic. $15 bucks with or without water bk
I took advantage of a similar deal with a local water company 2-3 yrs ago. Got three 5-gal carboys, wish I'd gotten a few more!

jeepingchick

**Domestic Goddess**
Reaction score
HOLY SCHNIKIES!!! wish i was back in Ar for the weekend....hmmmmm i need to think this one out LOL!

rodo

Reaction score
Good deal,I would get as many as you can afford.

Latest posts