Using a 5 gal carboy in place of a 6

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
Being new to wine making I am sure this is obvious to everyone, but me. If a recipe call for a 6 gal mix but all you have on hand is a 5 gal carboy, after clearing, racking into my 7 gallon bucket with the tap at the bottom and before bottling could I add the extra gallon of water?

I can buy 5 gal carboys for $15 but the 6 gal cost $50 plus, I know this is the wrong time to start counting pennies but curious minds. bk

you can always adjust a recipe to 5 gallons. A lot of the kitmakers say not to but just remember that you will have less at the end after the angels get their share.

If making kits then just get your self a 1 gallon or 4 liter jug for the overage. If making fruit wines just make 5 gallon batches. Where do you get 5 gallon carboys for $15?

Fayetteville Ar. Water jugs, but they are phasing the glass ones out for plastic. $15 bucks with or without water bk

Fayetteville Ar. Water jugs, but they are phasing the glass ones out for plastic. $15 bucks with or without water bk

I took advantage of a similar deal with a local water company 2-3 yrs ago. Got three 5-gal carboys, wish I'd gotten a few more!

HOLY SCHNIKIES!!! wish i was back in Ar for the weekend....hmmmmm i need to think this one out LOL!

Good deal,I would get as many as you can afford.

Latest posts

Back