UP-LOAD PROBLEMS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
smiley20.gif
Okay, I got the computer reoaled after a nasty virus...I have downloaded all the Up-Dates for Windows XP, including Service Pack 2....everything seems to be running as before.... Pop-Up blockers are working, etc...
smiley20.gif

I am still having problems with this Site....I figured out how to get the little Emoticons to work....for those I have to click on the [more...] under the samples and can use them from the more box...
smiley4.gif

I can not use any of the Up-Load Icons for photos..links....BOLD....UNDERLINE...etc...It was suggested to use the SHIFT KEY or CONTROL KEY and then click on those icons....BUT...that doesn't work either...I also have tried by turning off the Pop-Up Blocker for this Site too...

Is there some settings I can change in the [Settings Site] for this page...?Any more suggestions would be appriciated...

It worked like a charm before...
Edited by: Northern Winos

A few questions for you so I can try and find out why you are having trouble now:
Did your internet service provider change?

What type of anti-virus/anti-spam software areyou using?

I know Bill B still has issues with uploading pictures that we have not been able to solve as of yet.

masta said:
A few questions for you so I can try and find out why you are having trouble now:

Did your internet service provider change?
 NO

What type of anti-virus/anti-spam software are you using? 

AVG Free

I know Bill B still has issues with uploading pictures that we have not been able to solve as of yet.

Thanks for your reply!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Are you using the quick reply editor. If so, I don't have image uploads or much else available either. Use the post reply feature to bring up a better editor. Also in the profile settings , use the WYSIWIG editor feature for better control. The viruses, spyware, spam etc. have become such a nuisance nowdays. I repaired computers for 15+ years, but gave it up several years ago because I got tired of trying to outsmart the hackers. Now I have 2 programmers in the family(my 2 oldest sons).

Northern Winos said:
I can not use any of the Up-Load Icons for photos..links....BOLD....UNDERLINE...etc...It was suggested to use the SHIFT KEY or CONTROL KEY and then click on those icons....BUT...that doesn't work either...I also have tried by turning off the Pop-Up Blocker for this Site too...

Is there some settings I can change in the [Settings Site] for this page...?Any more suggestions would be appriciated...

It worked like a charm before...

Do you see the up-load icons for photos..links...bold..underline..etc and just can't use them? Are they there and nothing happens when you click on them?

Also need to know if you see any error messages and what they say if you do.

Can you disable your anti-virus softwaretemporarily and try posting and see if this works? This should narrow donewhether it is your virus software or a setting in windows.Edited by: masta

Do you see the up-load icons for photos..links...bold..underline..etc and just can't use them? Are they there and nothing happens when you click on them?

YES, I see them...nothing happens when I click on them....except...the line that flashes where you are to type the next letter....stops flashing.. [don't know what you call it...[maybe cursor> </font>

Also need to know if you see any error messages and what they say if you do.

</font>There are no error messages..just nothing happens.....as you can see I can use the fold down boxes...just not the icons....</font>

Can you disable your anti-virus software temporarily and try posting and see if this works? This should narrow done whether it is your virus software or a setting in windows.[/QUOTE]

I do disable my Pop-Up blocker, and have the Fine Vine Wines Web Site on the 'allow' tab....</font>

I will try to temporary disable the Anti-Virus program, and see if that works....</font>

THANKS!!!

appleman said:
Are you using the quick reply editor. If so, I don't have image uploads or much else available either. Use the post reply feature to bring up a better editor. Also in the profile settings , use the WYSIWIG editor feature for better control. The viruses, spyware, spam etc. have become such a nuisance nowdays. I repaired computers for 15+ years, but gave it up several years ago because I got tired of trying to outsmart the hackers. Now I have 2 programmers in the family(my 2 oldest sons).

Since this Web Site got Upgraded awhile back I have been using the Reply box in the previous Post....

I saw the WYSIWIG in the setting, but didn't know what it was for....will try that too.

THANKS for your input...will try everything and if it doesn't work will be happy just to read and Post...and enjoy the Site....
smiley17.gif

appleman said:

Tried the WYSIWIG and it seemed to work....but when I clicked on BROWSE to find the photos it didn't Upload them...it appeared to go through the motions tho...
Also...In the box under FILE NAMEall the Members names of the FORUM appeared...
Also...in the large dialog box on the URL side was a message in a foreign language....then the computer would lock up and about 35 browsers would open....and the SITE would Lock-Up....I had to boot the computer to get out and restart...Did this twice?

I got rid of the WYSIWIG setting and things seem to be back to normal...maybe my problems are just with my computer....So...don't fret...I can get by this way.

Thanks again for your time...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Wow, NW it sounds like you have weird things going on in that computer. The preview window of the post editor does fill with latin until you actually post. I think it's just a space filler. Anyway, I hope the virus didn't embed further into your system. My main work computer last year picked up a virus somehow even though I use all sorts of protection. It got so bad that the system wouldn't even get to a bios boot up screen- it would just sit there. I was sure it had died. Just for chuckles, I unhooked the main hard drive- kept the second one in there and it went through bios. I loaded the system on that drive, reinstalled virus protection and ran the scan. It found 17 viruses that didn't show up while using the other drive.

Did you format the drive before reinstalling the system? If you used the original system restore disk a lot of times it offers to just reinstall windows and drivers- that doesn't necessarily format the drive. If it didn't there may still be a virus lurking masking itself. Also - are you sure you had a virus? I mean did a window pop up saying you had one? Sometimes the cpu, memory or another chip can become intermittent and starts causing problems similar to virus behavior. Hopefully we can get to the root of your problem- we all enjoy your posts and pictures.
smiley4.gif

NW, since this is a new build of the OS, you will need some plug-ins to make things work in browsers nicely. Go to www.java.com and install the Java Virtual Machine. After that is installed, come back to this site and see if things work a little better for you. Windows XP with SP2 no longer includes the older Microsoft JVM,, and on new builds that is almost always missing.Edited by: Dean

appleman said:
Wow, NW it sounds like you have weird things going on in that computer. The preview window of the post editor does fill with latin until you actually post. I think it's just a space filler. Anyway, I hope the virus didn't embed further into your system. My main work computer last year picked up a virus somehow even though I use all sorts of protection. It got so bad that the system wouldn't even get to a bios boot up screen- it would just sit there. I was sure it had died. Just for chuckles, I unhooked the main hard drive- kept the second one in there and it went through bios. I loaded the system on that drive, reinstalled virus protection and ran the scan. It found 17 viruses that didn't show up while using the other drive.

Did you format the drive before reinstalling the system? If you used the original system restore disk a lot of times it offers to just reinstall windows and drivers- that doesn't necessarily format the drive. If it didn't there may still be a virus lurking masking itself. Also - are you sure you had a virus? I mean did a window pop up saying you had one? Sometimes the cpu, memory or another chip can become intermittent and starts causing problems similar to virus behavior.  Hopefully we can get to the root of your problem- we all enjoy your posts and pictures.
smiley4.gif

I ordered a set of Restore/Recovery disks from the computer company ..[Hewlett Packard]...my service center at my phone company installed them for me...so I don't know what he did...
The computer seems to be working perfectly...except for uploading photos to this Site....so I can live without that feature...
Might call the service center for some suggestions...
I am just happy to have the machine working so well...Thanks for your interest...
smiley1.gif

Dean said:
NW, since this is a new build of the OS, you will need some plug-ins to make things work in browsers nicely. Go to www.java.com and install the Java Virtual Machine. After that is installed, come back to this site and see if things work a little better for you. Windows XP with SP2 no longer includes the older Microsoft JVM,, and on new builds that is almost always missing.

Thanks Dean...I went to that Site...it looks like a bulky download, will try it tomorrow.... Thanks again
smiley17.gif

You know what I just love about this place? It's like a big, extended family. No matter the issue someone is willing to help.
smiley31.gif
Group hug!
smiley4.gif

Great job Richard and Dean with the tech info.
smiley32.gif
My hope is that this issue can be solved and we all learn a bit more about our computers and the endless issues they bring.

Thanks

20061012_101447_361638480_0_145.jpg

YEEEEE-HAAAAAW!!!!</font>

It appears to be working....I went to the Java page....It would only allow me to Download.... J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 6....

On that Download the GOOGLE toolbar was also an option, I downloaded it as well, as I had it before....

The first try on this Site the UpLoad box appeared....then it didn't work again with many tries...

I changed some settings in the Internet Options [Advanced] and this time it worked....we'll see if it continues....

Thanks Everyone for your input... Everyone's concern is much appriciated....
smiley32.gif

20061012_111359_361638467_0_145.jpg

Go figure...it worked again...didn't do anything different....

Try to Upload another photo and it doesn't work again... Go figure.....
smiley5.gif

Try the Shift Key and Ctrl Key as well...no luck there either....Guess I will try and try again...

This is too much for my Chemo Brain...too early for a drink!!!
smiley19.gif

I assume you rebooted after loading the java. If not sometimes you get limited sucess until you reboot. I even sometimes puposely reboot twice, in case the system crashes before sucessfully shutting down- which can put the system back to pre-installation. Glad to hear you are at least somewhat sucessful!
smiley4.gif
smiley32.gif

By the way - who decides how early is too early for a drink - You can always say it is some of Granny's fall tonic.

Edited by: appleman

Try again with the WYSIWYG post editor enabled.Without this enabled you don't get all the features of the forum when posting.

Latest posts

Back