Unable to remove corks - HELP!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
This is my problem. I bottled up a couple of cases of wine with a variety of natural solid corks (given to me by a friend). Now it has been 2 months and my friends and I can not get most of the corks out of the bottles. I even broke my bottle opener trying too. It is almost like they are glued in there. The corks were #9 X 1.75 inches and all I did to them was to lightly mist them with a small amount of Sulfite solution to sterilized them before insertion into the bottle. To be clear, the corks are not breaking, they just will not pull out of the bottle.

Any suggestions? Did I do something wrong? You all give me some suggestions.

What kind of corkscrew? I use the lever-pull style and never have a problem.

I've been looking into lubricated vs. non-lubricated corks recently in trying to find a good quality natural cork that'll last for at least 5 yrs. Somebody sent me this, http://oxidised-burg...paces.com/Corks, which deals a little with the lube issue to some degree. I would guess that the ones you used weren't coated with parafin or silicone. I read and heard people having the exact problem you are with not being able to get the corks out and breaking screws. Sorry I don't have a better solution to the problem though.

Since I went to the Rabbit cork remover I have had no problems what so ever with any corks.

Corkis Entraptis. Try chilling the bottles first. Chilling wouls shrink the cork slightly and may allow for the moisture from the fridge to absorb into the corks.

Just a thought.

I've broken a couple of corkscrews in my lifetime, but they were both cheap pieces of cr&p. I have a wide variety of corkscrews now, all pretty substantial, and have never had a problem getting a cork out with them. Most of my good corkscrews are over 15 years old though. The ones you'd find at the dollar store or grocery store just don't seem to be made of the same heavy materials. I am sure there are good quality corkscrews available today, you'll just need to pay a little more for them.

I'm not sure guys, but I don't think toddrod is asking for a new type of corkscrew. I think he's asking what he did wrong to make all/most of his corks stick so tight in the bottle that he can't get them out. Right Toddrod???? :a1

Take a sharp knife and run it around the upper edge of the cork and then try removing them. The coating on them is made even more tenacious by spraying with the k-meta. I put them in dry and have no problems anymore. You could make the corkidor these guys all use to keep them sterile and then just insert dry.

For now, score the edges and get a better corkscrew if you can. They should come out OK.

I'm not sure guys, but I don't think toddrod is asking for a new type of corkscrew. I think he's asking what he did wrong to make all/most of his corks stick so tight in the bottle that he can't get them out. Right Toddrod???? :a1

Yes, that is the intent of my original post.

I repeat- you don't want a lot of k-meta with the corks. Either put in dry or keep them in a corkidor or sealed bag to keep strile then just pop them in preferably with a floor corker of some kind.

I had this exact problem a few years back and broke all sorts of corkscrews. The only corkscrews that would work on these were the dble lever or waiters. Do as Grapeman says, they actually make a cork extracter that doesnt peierc e the cork but Ive never tried it and sneaking these prongs alongside the cork may not work here. Its one reason I went with the FineVineWines paraffin coated corks and never looked around since! They go in easy and come out easy, and I have mist kit wine under them that are still good after almost 5 years.

I use either this one or this Rogar Legacy

The first one was a lot cheaper and works almost as well!

I actually have that first model. I suffer from the same problems as the OP. My corks will NOT come out easily, I usually end up chipping the top of the bottle (using an old fashion hand screw). The spiffy corkscrew just goes it, and then comes back out! It never actually gets a good enough grip to pull the cork out! LOL.

But, I think my problem is my double lever hand corker and the 5-10min bath I give the corks prior to corking. I'll have to invest in a floor corker this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jify, I had 3 of thise rabbit eared ones do that and i refuse to buy any of them ever again. The first one was a cheaper model so I didnt think about it. The second one was a pricey one which I bought in another state at a winery and the third was pretty darn expensive and I made the company take it back after 3 weeks and give me my money back. Waiters dbke lever for me from now on!

Latest posts

Back