WineXpert Uh Oh! Is this Normal?!?!?!?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eduk8or

Reaction score
is it supposed to overflow like this?? If not, WHAT DO I DO?????
smiley3.gif

20061219_074526_airlock.JPG

20061219_074602_airlock1.JPG

It's not supposed to. What normally happens when you see that is the wine thatis fermenting has foamed up, and that foam has pushed into the airlock, filling it with wine.
You have to get your airlock clear. Keep in mind if the airlock is plugged, you could have pressure building up. So, first gently pull up the edge of the lid (or carefully remove the airlock/bung) and allow any pressure that may be built up to release. Then pull the airlock off and clean the wine out of it. Check to see if it is plugged (will air or water pass through the main stem?). If it's plugged, clean out the plug or get another airlock. At this time you might want to clean the lid up some as well. Then sanitize and install the (now) clean airlock in the lid (which is back on the wine).

I had this happen with an apple wine - I had too much liquid in my primary. I ended up taking the lid off on a daily basis and scoop the foam off the surface until the fermentation settled down.

is this going to ruin my wine???

I am not sure what i am doing! getting a bit frustrated and worried!

I filled up my bucket to the top line becuase when i measured out six gallons (before i even started the wine) six gallons came to the top line. Was that too much?Edited by: eduk8or

I had that happen once....now after I mix my wine [must], let it set for 24 hours, then add the peptic enzyme and when I am ready to pitch the yeast...then I divide the must into two primary buckets add the Yeast Nutrient then the yeast... I use a package of yeast in each bucket....yeast is cheap...and it can be used in 1-5 gallons...I most often do 6 to 6 1/2 gallon batches.

The last batch I made I used Red Star Pasteur Red Yeast and it really foamed...it got to the top of each bucket and they were only half full...so surely would have had a mess if I would have left the 6 1/2 gallons in one bucket.

I think some yeast foams more than others too...

How long has it been fermenting???

You could stir it up to distribute the yeast evenly and divide it into two buckets if you have them...

Is there a bag of pulp in the bucket???Edited by: Northern Winos

Just pull the airlock out and rinse then refill with water and reinstall in the bucket. What size bucket are you using?

I dont know what size it is. It doesnt say.

Do I need to sterilize the airlock when i rinse it out???

I would sterilize the air lock and replace it.

How full is your bucket??? How close to the top of the bucket is the liquid???

If the liquid is too near the top of the bucket...and...being as it has just begun fementing...it might foam up into the airlock again ..or...might even oveflow the bucket....
smiley3.gif
I learned that from experience.

If it seems to want to over flow then you should divide the liquid into two containers...if you have them.

Read them instructions eduk8or...Then go back and read them again..Look for clues in them on how to determine if you have a bucket of sufficiant capacity.

first how big is the primary and did you have enough head space in the primary before pitching the yeast?

I realized that I used a fermenting bucket for beer instead of wine, so it is a bit smaller. It is filledabout 1 inch from the top.

Actuaaly the basic kits for both wine and beer are 6.5 gallons. They do
sell a 7.9 gallon primary for beer though. I have 2 6.5 gallons and I
come pretty cose to the airlock myself sometimes with foamy yeasts. You
might have to pull a little out of there just to clear the airlock.
Otherwise eveything is fine. Some yeasts are more active than others
and foam up alot more. you might have added just a little to much
water. The second to top ridge on the bucket is 6 gallon mark.

I hate to correct anyone but the proper sized primary for making a wine kit is at least 7.9 gallons and not 6.5 due to the size of the batch which is 6 gallons or 23 liters.

You certainly can make wine kits in a 6.5 gallon primary but they don't allow much space for properly stirring and fermentation issues as what has happened here.

The reason manyhome brew storessell 6.5 gal primaries is they are a carry over from making beer which is typically a 5 gal batch size.

eduk8or said:
I realized that I used a fermenting bucket for beer instead of wine, so it is a bit smaller.  It is filled about 1 inch from the top.

The buckets I use for primaries are probably 6.5 or 7 gallons....they came with grape juice in them for winemaking....SO...I know what you are going through with the 1 inch head space....that is why I divide my must and put it in two buckets before I pitch the yeast.

Yeah, I know...I should brake down and get a 7.9 bucket, but...I can lift these buckets when they are half full by myself...so kind of like the smaller ones for that reason...I can watch the fermentation and when it is ready to rack to a carboy I can lift them onto the counter alone and not bother 'anyone' for that one step....
smiley9.gif
I am thinking about getting some 3 gallon carboys for the same reason...then I can be more independent in my winemaking...
smiley17.gif

Well Masta I love to be corrected when I'm wrong. I guess I got screwed
on 3 primaries! I always thought that the beer kits needed the extra
room for excessive foaming as I've heard they foam up alot more than
wine but I guess 1.5 gaalons of extra space would be enough . I have
never done a beer kit as I dont really drink beer that much. Never
really had a taste for it. Now if they came up with a Jack Daniels kit,
that would be different!

ALL of my winestarter packages have the 7.9 gallon bucket.As masta pointedout, the beer guys don't know better or don't want to spend the money on the correct size bucket.

Some wine kits will foam up 2-3 inches. If you only have 1 inch from the top, you can have problems, as you have discovered.

Others have provided excellent advice and you have most likely caught your problem early enough to avoid any problems.

eduk8or said:
I realized that I used a fermenting bucket for beer instead of wine, so it is a bit smaller. It is filledabout 1 inch from the top.

This would be the problem...7.9 gallon is (correct me if im wrong George ) the size you should use and you should not run in to a problem...

Latest posts

Back