Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about this question. I don't have a solution for you but you might approach it this way. You can have a sample of your wine tested for mineral content. Then find a wine that has the "terroir" you are seeking and have a sample tested (before drinking it all). Then you will have some measurable information to work with. This may cost you some bucks and may not get you anything usable but if you really want that old wine cellar taste you will have to chase it.

Quick story here ... I was a 15 year old and didn't like wine when I visited my grandfather in Italy. We went to his cellar to fetch a pitcher of wine where he had 2 oak barrels each about 5 feet in diameter with wine, one to age and one to drink. His cellar was 10 or 12 feet high with 2 foot rock walls in his 400 or 500 year old house. I remember the good smell of that cellar and I very much liked his wine. I don't know where you live but I don't think you will find one of those basements in your neighborhood.

You can buy rocks in liquid form as I'm holding a bottle of Hi Trace low sodium trace minerals that my wife used to add to our softened tap water. Many companies, to include beer producers, condition their water by adding or removing minerals. I'm sure you can find what you need if your solution lies with adjusting the mineral content.
Thank you, I will look into it. Love your story. I am really a fan of the old world style wines and within my travels to Europe and beyond I make sure to visit different vineyards and regions to learn their flavors.

Picked up a double kit of cellar masters cab sauv from Costco $80cdn delivered. These are 5.5L kits so was thinking of these tweaks for the first one.
-make it to around 5gal or when I like the gravity reading
-1 tbsp wine tannin in primary
-switch to rc212 yeast
-add 1 cup Zante currents to primary
-use oak powder that comes with kit in primary
-finish aging in carboy with some American oak staves that I roasted.

I’d also like to hear some opinions on what tweeks I should do on the second kit
Wish Costco in America would sell those kits.

Picked up a double kit of cellar masters cab sauv from Costco $80cdn delivered. These are 5.5L kits so was thinking of these tweaks for the first one.
-make it to around 5gal or when I like the gravity reading
-1 tbsp wine tannin in primary
-switch to rc212 yeast
-add 1 cup Zante currents to primary
-use oak powder that comes with kit in primary
-finish aging in carboy with some American oak staves that I roasted.

I’d also like to hear some opinions on what tweeks I should do on the second kit
Wow! Yes, I see it on Costco several varieties of Cellar Masters all 20 bucks off regular price - dual kits - 60 bottles.. They also have varieties of Argentia Ridge Château little higher price. All come with corks and labels and the Argentia also with Shrink caps. Looks like free delivery
That is quite a deal, though low end kits - but that is what we are working with here.
I'll get one or two - I'm going to be busy.

Hi there, to the Cab,sav.try adding one small package of blackberries , about 16ozs.
You know don't over complicate things it's wine making have fun.
And as always ( Think Outside The Box).

Hi there, to the Cab,sav.try adding one small package of blackberries , about 16ozs.
You know don't over complicate things it's wine making have fun.
And as always ( Think Outside The Box).
The frozen fruit packs which are pretty pure and good up here in Canada and are in all the supermarkets are usually sold in 600 gm pks which is about 21 OZ. So I guess that will do.

That will do 😜, remember berries add tannins also ,they have seeds so go lighter on oak,etc.

Wow! Yes, I see it on Costco several varieties of Cellar Masters all 20 bucks off regular price - dual kits - 60 bottles.. They also have varieties of Argentia Ridge Château little higher price. All come with corks and labels and the Argentia also with Shrink caps. Looks like free delivery
That is quite a deal, though low end kits - but that is what we are working with here.
I'll get one or two - I'm going to be busy.
Disappointment! After deciding on the Sauvignon Blanc, and doing a ton of research I tired to order a kit.
Useless! You need to buy a one year membership - 60 bucks.
Worse , you actually have to go to a warehouse to verify the membership.
Sort of cancels the idea of online shopping.
No use to me since I don't have a car and am nowhere near those stores.
The devil is in the details.
Too much trouble.
That brings the price up to 120 bucks, so I might as well buy a high end kit at my local brew store,
120 bucks would get a full juice pail.
Oh well, easy come, easy go.

Last edited:
Funny, I got neighbours who regularly shop at Costco so it's not like I never heard of Costco. I just didn't know there was a hefty membership charge. So you got to shop ther regularly to get your yearly money back and I think, buy in bulk.
Well, sad, that excludes me out.
On the bright side, I've been saved from buying a double low end kit. 😄
:hh

Last edited:
Something from the past.. Outstanding chilled
Expresso cello..

Attachments

• 1 Our Espresso base.jpg
    1 Our Espresso base.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 2 add coffee bean extract slowly.jpg
    2 add coffee bean extract slowly.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 3 don't add the beans.jpg
    3 don't add the beans.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 4 stir up good.jpg
    4 stir up good.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 5 add a little more extract to taste.jpg
    5 add a little more extract to taste.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 6 then add simple syrup to taste.jpg
    6 then add simple syrup to taste.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 7add more everclear to taste.jpg
    7add more everclear to taste.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20141010_143748806_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141010_143748806_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
Today I started my orange cholocate port kit, my way.
Starting off with the reg. Process and adding simple syrup to the mix and tangerine zest.
, Plus the oak.
Once I get to the secondary I'll add 1teaspoon of instant coffee.Thats correct instant coffee ☕, then just a little more of the zest , clear then the fpac. Another award winner 🏆 in the making.👍

Good morning 🌞, this kit comes with it's own Fpac 👍 I'll add a few enhancements , as stated above.🏆then clear it , bottle and let sit for 1yr.
By then it show be very tasty 🙂.

I’ve been really lucky at Costco lately, today I scored this in store for $63.99cdn, rarely find it in store. Online it is $89.99 regular $105.99.
2 kits, 7L concentrate in each, plus corks and labels

Attachments

• 8991844E-E0D7-470B-B114-D9785929EE05.jpeg
    8991844E-E0D7-470B-B114-D9785929EE05.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
I’m thinking:
-make 5gal instead of 6
-16oz blueberry f-pac in primary
-1tbsp tannin in primary

Blueberries good, blackberries better, tannins in primary and secondary,both will build structure and flavor.

Latest posts

Back