Ok I think I'll get some Blackberry or cherry depending on what Walmart has - usually they sell those packs of 600 gm frozen. Not sure how much to add.First , tannins in the primary at there to start to build structure, in the secondary they add to the structure and flavornoids,( taste profile).
Fruit in the primary or secondary creates enhancements to the overall structure.
It will change the SG by an unknown amount, because the sugar in the fruit will not be in the must yet, but I'll get the final actual SG when it is in the carboy just before stabilizing.
I've done Dragon Blood by simply adding the fruit in a mesh bag , using squeeze method and then eventually just dumping it all out of the mesh bag into the carboy I just like to maximize the fruit usage. I've found it no problem filtering out the large fruit must as it is going into the carboy.
I didn't think of sauteing it, I guess simmering it a bit will help - good tip.
Fruit in the secondary might be a problem for me. I could only rack it again prior to filtering and bottling because of ullage - ie if I rack it at half time the carboy won't be full..unless I use my overflow reserve method - ie usually ensuring the primary will fill a 6 gallon carboy plus a 750 or 500 ml pop bottle.
Yeah fruit addition should improve the kit. Sounds good. And then maybe some Tannin after stabilization of after filtering.
Thanks for the tips.