Project : build a bunker!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Ralphee

All the gear and no idea...
Reaction score
Okay brains trust - i have a question, but first let me explain why.
Last year I purchased a property with 220 vines on it (mostly Shiraz, a little Cab Sav) and the previous owner makes the wine off site (i grow, he bottles and we go halves). Which is fine for now, but its nothing more than a gentleman's agreement. I have a nice big area which i can cut into a hill and make a bunker, or a few retaining walls and put a shed on it (really want to go the bunker option though).
The area i could use would probably be a room 6mtrx6mtr (20ft x 20ft) comfortably, perhaps bigger, but i need to check that. This will take me a while as I can only do things as the budget allows, but space is required and i want to take over the wine making myself. Yes this will be a *large* cost, but it will also raise the value of the property, so that's okay.

My question - if you were in my position, how would you build this?
Assume i have the obvious underfloor drainage, no steps, lots of bench space, deep sink with flexible hose, LED lighting, stereo/TV and enough insulation to get the job done properly.
While there are loads of really good threads here on 'i have this space what can i do?' (yes i read a bunch, and no i cant do as good a work as some of you have done) i am thinking of a 'here is a blank canvas, go nuts'
It will be a storage and working room. Last years crop was 850L of must which was a very big year, so i have to allow to process 900L or less each year
I dont believe in re-inventing the wheel (the basket press has been used for how long now??) so i thought the best thing to do is to ask people much wiser than myself, given this amount of space - what would you do? What would make the ultimate space according to YOU?

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
For me, it’s an area where things that are used once a year can be tucked away, and space prepared to use them efficiently when they are needed. Crusher/destemmed, press, fermenters, etc, get stored 99% of the year. Good workspace to move/store barrels in, and room to bottle; an attractive bottle storage racking system is a must.

I’ve already built mine, here’s the build link if you’re interested: New Wine Room

Keep my crusher / destemmer, press, fermenters, extra carboys, etc. in the garage. Crush / destem, and press outside in my driveway, ferment inside in the A/C, everything else happens in the wine room, and it’s smaller than yours. Some years I do over 100 gallons (2300 L) in the fall.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
an underground bunker should be easy for temperature control. so long term storage of wine should be very easy and economical.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
* it may not raise property value, a twenty foot green house decreases the value of the property, to raise value it has to look like something “normal“ as TV/ toilet/ or at least plumbing roughed in for a half bath and kitchenette.
* you are basically describing a walk in basement so the cost shouldn’t be too bad. It would be functional with a patio you can drive to and to look “normal”, when selling I would stage it with a fire pit and seating. The door should be a double wide to make it easy for equipment or the next owner to put in French doors for a party area.
* floor drainage sloped to a drain, I hated the spots in the pilot plant that caught water.
* you are talking about some interesting wine volume with floating lid tanks. I would do at least ten foot ceiling height, possibly twelve. Plus,, Your extra ceiling height is basically free volume.
* benches? maybe stainless tables with wheels, flexibility is valuable, and you can roll them outside when the vinters club invades.
* I would look at a flat deck for the roof, it will add cost but changes this to another party room in the eye of a buyer. A steel truss with poured concrete floor is common construction.
* steel trusses were good for hanging unistrut and mounting equipment without calling a contractor.
* if you have a concrete roof/ ceiling consider building a penetration for the future as venting heat, or pipes and wires, or a pipe from a crusher set up, or another half bath, etc. etc.
this will be a *large* cost, but it will also raise the value of the property, , , ,
My question - if you were in my position, how would you build this?
Assume i have the obvious underfloor drainage, no steps, lots of bench space, deep sink with flexible hose, LED lighting, stereo/TV and enough insulation to get the job done properly.
While there are loads of really good threads here on 'i have this space what can i do?' . . year, so i have to allow to process 900L or less each year

Ralphee

Reaction score
I’ve already built mine, here’s the build link if you’re interested: New Wine Room
I went through all 17 pages of this post before starting this thread. If my bunker comes out looking half as good as your build i win be happy! You have set a very high bar for us to reach towards!
* it may not raise property value
* I would stage it with a fire pit and seating. The door should be a double wide to make it easy for equipment or the next owner to put in French doors for a party area.
* if you have a concrete roof/ ceiling consider building a penetration for the future as venting heat, or pipes and wires, or a pipe from a crusher set up, or another half bath, etc. etc.
I had not thought of a roof, was simply thinking of being underground, good points raised here, thanks. The fire pit and seating i was thinking of doing as well, and the same for nice big door to allow easy access, if it is done well (fingers crossed) then i am confident it will be an asset (but its like restoring a car, you never get back what it cost you)
an underground bunker should be easy for temperature control. so long term storage of wine should be very easy and economical.
That's the idea, but i will still put in some climate control. Whats the best features of your space?

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
sorry mine was just a comment do not have a space. I am retired living in a independent retirement home.

Ralphee

Reaction score
Late August update : Finally found someone who actually builds underground houses who is interested in helping! Talking to local builders go me nowhere, just "drop a couple 20ft containers and be done with it..."
Although he said the build might cost a lot more than expected... will update how we go getting proper plans drawn up.
I honestly didn't think i was asking anything too difficult!