- Nov 15, 2007
- Reaction score
Move to the secondary add the oak let it set for a couple weeks then add the clarifying agents let it clear, you're ready to bottle.
Wait until the SG stops dropping and is stable for 2 days. Around .996. Then rack to secondary."Move it?" You mean move it into the carboy (secondary) what ever the specific gravity is?
Here is what I would do:So, we should do the clarifier step first, and two weeks later do step 2 to add oak, correct?
Yes, you should gauge whether or not to transfer to the carboy based on the S.G., and not on the time. But I think your phrasing seems off ("if it is still low...."). Your SG should be dropping during this time.We will check the specific gravity again tomorrow before we transfer it to carboy. If it is still low, do we need to let it sit in the primary with cherries until it's in range?
OK I decided to add the can of peaches (398 ml = 13.5 oz) to the primary, even though it had been going about 4 days SG around 1.000. More fruit taste can't hurt for my taste),that should be enough zest you'll be able to tell when you bottle , either way it'll work out great as far as a fresh peach is peaches go, fresh peaches workout better than canned peaches but can peaches can work ,only in the primary be prepared to add pectin enzyme also or it won't clear stay in touch keep thinking outside the box
No worries about stalling - the peaches were gobbled up or transformed almost instantly. this morning SG was at .991 - So this is day 6 from the start and peaches added at day 4.OK I decided to add the can of peaches (398 ml = 13.5 oz) to the primary, even though it had been going about 4 days SG around 1.000. More fruit taste can't hurt for my taste),
Worst case - just change the profile a bit.
Late but I think it's ok. I got caught short, I have to do a" naked kill" no time for shopping, forgot to look at fruit last time at the supermarket.
Added yeast energizer, nutrient, 3 tsp pectic enzyme and a calculated amount of sugar to maintain the SG as per original ratio, as fruit might lower it (a very small amount)
Hoping it won't stall (if any sulfides in can) but still have 3 days to reach my usual standard of .990 SG
And if not , I think it will still ferment down. with a few extra days.
Done on Dec 17. I added another tsp tannin in the secondary post-stabilization. One tsp was added in the primary.Started Vinco Merlot (Chile) cost 80 bucks Can, 4 week , 8 litres.
Added to primary , 600 gm Sweet Dark Cherries (= 21 oz) + will add the pkg oak chips that came with kit and also add supplementary 1 tsp tannin both in primary - tomorrow morn will add the yeast.
Plus 1 tsp pectic enzyme, plus some additional yeast nutrient and energizer in case the fruit pack has sulphide.
Result: bottled 12 bottles dry, at 13% ABV, 19 bottles back sweetened at 1/3 CPG , (cup per gallon) sugar (.0208333 ratio) - 12.8 % ABV
Drank about 30 ml dry from the bottling - tasty passable,
Drank 65 ml back-sweetened - very tasty. I do prefer back-sweetened generally but I think perhaps the sugaring brought out the fruit taste of the cherries.
I have another small taster 100 ml bottle leftover back-sweetened and I will try that at a later date to check out my theory..
The Merlot is good, I'll crack my first bottle later this year to check out how good it might be.
The sugar adds volume for one thing and..., You are right, I use more water than necessary - only a little bit and I use overflow bottles - sealed bottles of all sizes - process the overflow separately and merge it at all rackings.An interesting adjustment. You did well. Thirty one bottles. Did you add more than the standard measure of water or were you using smaller bottle sizes. Cheers