Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,
Thanks, I think I will try the cloth on the next batch. How long do you leave it on, for the whole primary fermentation or just part?

John

By moving into the secondary not quite finished you'll still have gasing off and protect the secondary from oxidation at the same time... thanks

Question .
Can you degas to much?
Causing oxidation in the bottle or Bulk.

If you’re referring to mechanical degassing, like with a whip or drill mounted device, then yes, you can. It’s important if you degas this way to stay on top of your sulfite additions. I believe it would take an awful lot of whipping to cause oxidation, but it’s possible.

I‘d like to keep the CO2 in wine as much as possible. It can help protecting the wine from oxidation. CO2 is a good friend of wine.
Usually, once the aging period (6 months) elapses, the gas is mostly gone. A quick vacuum check before fining usually work great for me. I am trying to stay away from the drill. It looks more like an aerator for me.

I‘d like to keep the CO2 in wine as much as possible. It can help protecting the wine from oxidation. CO2 is a good friend of wine.
Usually, once the aging period (6 months) elapses, the gas is mostly gone. A quick vacuum check before fining usually work great for me. I am trying to stay away from the drill. It looks more like an aerator for me.
Thanks,
My first use.
Thanks for the heads up.
Newbie learning.

To weigh in on excessive de-gassing, Yes you can over whip the wine. I've done it, and it oxidizes. On the upside, you won't run out of cooking wine.

MY CHEAP KITS

All 6 kits are in clearing stage. The kit with the raspberry preserves never got below sg 0.998 so I added sorbate just in case there are residual sugars. If it tastes to sweet after clearing I'll blend it with the Merlot that dropped off the hydrometer scale 0.990.

All except the white are on Oak. I'll try to bottle them in Sept. We are hosting a wine tasting in Oct so it will be nice to have more variety.

So far 5 of the 6 kits taste really pleasant.

I've been to chicken to taste he kit with the coffee beans added again. I'll wait till the last second, then see if I need to come up with a plan B.

So are we having fun yet? That's what this thread was all about ,exprrim experimenting with flavor of all kinds but always keeping good sanatation in mind that's the key to good wine making. No your wine's profile and lastly learn to think outside the box.

Well I got brave and tasted the coffee bean batch. DAMN it's going to be good. The oak seems to have mitigated the coffee flavor with it's vanilla and caramel notes. It's big in flavor and body already.

I may add coffee beans to my arsenal of tweaks, we'll see.

In time the wine will start having chocolate notes, see if I'm not correct, keep having fun band always think outside the box.

My batch of Merlot is in secondary fermentation, small circles of very fine bubbles in a larger circle just inside the walls of the carboy. Will be checking the SG and a taste test after the weekend. If the SG is below .998 and not too sweet, may go to clearing step. If above will let it ride. Still smell good.

John

I am new to this wine making. So far have done fruit wine and a couple gallon kits. Recently purchased several Master Vintner kits ( Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, and Cabernet S.). Anyone have any good tweaks for these, or just follow the direction?

Just got a question from my 4 year old granddaughter, where did the name carboy come from? Getting her interested early.

John

Just got a question from my 4 year old granddaughter, where did the name carboy come from? Getting her interested early.

John

Well, apparently it is from a Persian word. Here is what the Oxford English Dictionary has to say:
  • carboy, n.1
Pronunciation:
Brit. /ˈkɑːbɔɪ/
, U.S. /ˈkɑrˌbɔɪ/
Forms: 17 karboy, 17– carboy, 18 corabah.
Frequency (in current use):
Origin: A borrowing from Persian. Etymon: Persian qarāba.
Etymology: Ultimately < Persian qarāba large flagon (for wine, rose water, etc.; of uncertain origin, perhaps related to Arabic qirba large leather bottle, water-skin), with (in English) unexplained syncope of the medial syllable and probable alteration of the ending (perhaps after boy n.1: compare demijohn n.; although compare also degamboy n., saveloy n. for possible phonological parallels). Compare later carafe n.
Compare the following early attestation of the Persian word in a post-classical Latin context:
1712 E. Kæmpfer Amœnitatum Exoticarum ii. 379 [Referring to the wine trade of Shiraz] Vasa vitrea, alia sunt majora, ampullacea & circumducto scirpo tunicata, quæ vocant Karabà... Venit Karaba una apud vitriarios duobus mamudi, rarò cariùs.

Have you read this thread from the beginning , learn your wines profile's then ask yourself , of the wines profile what would I like to taste more of, then ask your question, that's a better way to look at your question. Just a thought

Latest posts

Back