Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A update on my over worked S.Blanc.
Added 2 Tbls. Of Dunkin coffee beans..
And one cup of Brown sugar simple syrup.
Surprised, it's sour taste is faded and caramel notes with a floral backdrop,(if that translates!).

Not sure about the brown sugar never used it but if it works for you ,nice
Use of coffee extraction is also fun.

We made a shiraz/zinfandel kit, and force fed it up to about 19% alcohol. We then added cold pressed coffee and cocoa powder. After some rackings and back-sweetening, the resulting mocha port style is a HUGE hit.

We made a shiraz/zinfandel kit, and force fed it up to about 19% alcohol. We then added cold pressed coffee and cocoa powder. After some rackings and back-sweetening, the resulting mocha port style is a HUGE hit.
That sounds great...
I plan to up the alcohol % with some Bourbon.
Plan to bottle. Enjoy.
Will update.

Where are you guys finding these cheap kits. I have been on amazon and only found a handful of fontana and wild grape kits. I did make a couple of the vintners reserve weekday wine kits and I reduced them to 5.5 gallons. they came out great for a basic sitting on the deck wine. But I am intrigued.

Keep looking for Fontana wine kits and there are others,join the fun of creating your our wine styles and thanks for reading Tweeking Cheap Wine Kits.

Where are you guys finding these cheap kits. I have been on amazon and only found a handful of fontana and wild grape kits. I did make a couple of the vintners reserve weekday wine kits and I reduced them to 5.5 gallons. they came out great for a basic sitting on the deck wine. But I am intrigued.

I use the Fontana kits...Malbec, Pino Noir, Cab Sav....not a white wine guy. they have came out at the very least decent and some have been really good. All have been fun. Reduced volume, Fpacks, extra sugar, added oaks, extracts...the road goes on forever and the party never ends. Your wine your way. You may start with a Cab and wind up with something totally different...but still good!

Not sure about the brown sugar never used it but if it works for you ,nice
Use of coffee extraction is also fun.
My thinking was the molasses back notes with sweetness... I am in full experiment mode.. being the Sauvignon Blanc is O2 sick.. added orange zest.
Will taste and evaluate.

I have a Fontana Merlot kit. I want to add a can of Current fruit puree and maybe some home grown black raspberries. I want to make it out to 6 gallons. Should I add the fruit and puree at primary or secondary fermentation? What happens with each?
Thanks for any help!

First of all way to much enhancements.
What size can is the currentf fruit puree?
Only use a lb. Of the fresh fruit that should work fine.
Your turn and have you read this thread?

Adding zest can be a real treat
Adding zest can be a real treat
I have noticed in your tweeks citrus zest
What I added was filleted Orange skins (pulp cut off like filleting a fish) makes for easier racking.
For what it's worth, I appreciate you not acting like a wine expert BLOWHARD,as many are.
May do a Sauvignon Blanc with Orange skins.

First of all way to much enhancements.
What size can is the currentf fruit puree?
Only use a lb. Of the fresh fruit that should work fine.
Your turn and have you read this thread?
It is a 3 lb 1 oz can of Vintner's Harvest Black Currant Puree. I did not read every word of this thread. That's why I am confused as to WHEN to add the fruit. I guess I have to spend a day reading. Thanks!

Barb172..…too much concentrate for the Vintner kit 1/2 would be a lot but doable added to the primary as a partnership or in the secondary to create a background flavor the choice is yours.
Reading in between thread will give you a better idea of how this works, just a thought.

Usually...1 lb. Of fruit to 5 or 6 gallon of wine.

Onto the clearing stage for my Merlot, now at 0.93 SG. Still a bit on the sweet side, but maybe a slight dash of coffee? Still smells fine.

Amazon

I haven't got around to working with a wine kit yet. But - tell me - when you add the water do you acidulate it with tartaric acid to adjust the TA and pH. Or have the manufacturers already made that adjustment in the concentrate. Cheers Craig

I haven't got around to working with a wine kit yet. But - tell me - when you add the water do you acidulate it with tartaric acid to adjust the TA and pH. Or have the manufacturers already made that adjustment in the concentrate. Cheers Craig

Just straight water, the impact of that, purportedly, has been planned for in the must. Typically doesn’t require and acid or BRIX adjustments, though lots of folks make adjustments to suit their own purposes.

OMG I've read this entire thread and my eyes are bleeding! I haven't started my Fontana Merlot yet - wanted to read everything - but plan on doing it today. Will only add 1 pound of the current puree in the primary and oak and 1 tsp tannin in the secondary. I don't have a 5 gallon carboy :( - yet.... I have some time to find one I guess.
Thank you all for the information! It sounds complicated, but fun! I'm not too good a thinking outside the wine box.

Latest posts

Back