Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Merlot is still working, the SG is still dropping and everything smells OK. Just taking time. I suspect that the sugar was a bit higher than expected and the yeast decided to take it’s time. No bubbling in the water lack, but it is definitely working. May have a leaky seal somewhere. Will be measuring the SG and Ph today and see what I have. If all is well, will rack and let sit in the carboy with the water lock for secondary fermentation. Been about 2 1/2 weeks on the primary, but not in a hurry.

John

Trick..Add all the learning agent before bottling.thats why it's there.
Certified...yes you can some what like aging in a cask, remember not to over do the oak unless you enjoy socking on logs in the end.

Measured the SG and it is down to 1.025, that’s down from 1.040 a few days ago, slow small bubbles in the must, and Ph is around 3.35 to 3.4 from the paper test strips. Instructions say to rack at SG of 1.020, so will let it go for a few more days. Smell is good and taste is a bit sweet still, but much dryer that last week. I think I may may let it go below 1.020 if it is still sweet, any comments on that? Not in a hurry and will put it in an Oak keg for a few months after racking a few times.

John

Trick..Add all the learning agent before bottling.thats why it's there.
Certified...yes you can some what like aging in a cask, remember not to over do the oak unless you enjoy socking on logs in the end.
You think 1 ounce of Hungarian cubes ok?
Just put in last night.

no most of the post are coming off my phone and I'm not sure how to use spell check on that device , however there are 228,300 views on this thread with 1,189 replies most get what I'm trying to say .. so lets move on .... with kito's blueberry cab....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
phase #2..... moving through the process. Easy and great tasting in he end

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 13a.jpg
    13a.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 49
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
  • 15a.jpg
    15a.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
Gotta love it when the spell checker changes what you really wanted to write into something else. Especially when you don’t catch it on the proof reading.

Back to the Merlot, will be racking on Wednesday if the SG is down to or below 1.020. This is actually the first thing I have used a food grade plastic bucket as the primary fermenter. I usually use my 6 gallon glass carboy. Think I will go back to that for the next experiment. Having fun doing this.

John

My daughter found a place in Houston that had 6 gallon glass carboys. Got me one for Christmas a few years ago. Great size for either beer or wine making.

John

Using the food grade fermentation I is the best way to get the job done plenty of room for error and no spilling. I use them all the time and have mine marked out a a 3,4,5and six gallon marked off. Best way to get the work done .

Attachments

• 4 makes 6 gals.jpg
    4 makes 6 gals.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Using the food grade fermentation I is the best way to get the job done plenty of room for error and no spilling. I use them all the time and have mine marked out a a 3,4,5and six gallon marked off. Best way to get the work done .
That's my experience also. Plenty of room to stir and can have a lid with a bubble application.
Use 5 gallon plastic jugs as well with handle and screw tight lid. Easy cleanings and non breakable.
Works...$6 each.

Help is needed.
I tasted my Fontana Sblanc. It's perfectly clear.
However, tastes very acid,ph3.2, though.
Little vinagarie,... but drinkable.
Body is light.
Is it ruined?

My plastic fermenter is about 6 1/2 gallon capacity, maybe a tad more. When doing a 5 gallon wine, is that too much airspace? I am thinking that the CO2 would quickly fill that space and using an airlock would prevent O2 from doing any damage. I have used cheese cloth to cover with beer in fermenting, but never with wine. What are the advantage of using a cloth cover for wine and how long do you use it for before going to an airlock? Inquiring minds want to know.

John

My plastic fermenter is about 6 1/2 gallon capacity, maybe a tad more. When doing a 5 gallon wine, is that too much airspace? I am thinking that the CO2 would quickly fill that space and using an airlock would prevent O2 from doing any damage. I have used cheese cloth to cover with beer in fermenting, but never with wine. What are the advantage of using a cloth cover for wine and how long do you use it for before going to an airlock? Inquiring minds want to know.

John

No, it's not too much air space, you are correct, the CO2 production during AF is sufficient to protect your wine.

As far as covering your fermenter, folks do it both ways, a simple towel or cloth cover / lid sitting on top, or a lid snapped down tight with an airlock. There has been some discussion of allowing the must access to oxygen during fermentation, but no firm right or wrong answer, I've done it both ways with equal success and no failures.

Latest posts

Back