Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate this whole CO2 degassing bit.

Need the space to scale up shortly. I've got 2 buckets, 2 kits and 2 sets of fresh-pressed grapes coming in behind. Those will all be able to rest for a while once fermented.

The missus wants me to get another white kit and I want a Syrah kit to ferment on the skins of the Baco Noir but I'm running short on space/carboys. Those'll have to wait.

I want a Syrah kit to ferment on the skins of the Baco Noir but I'm running short on space/carboys. Those'll have to wait.

can you freeze skins of the Baco Noir and use as time and space allows? I don't know the answer either, so I would like know too! Fixing to start my first kits with skins, and I like the idea of re-using the skins.

can you freeze skins of the Baco Noir and use as time and space allows? I don't know the answer either, so I would like know too! Fixing to start my first kits with skins, and I like the idea of re-using the skins.

I'm not sure about freezing the skins after fermentation has started as the skins would be covered in yeast.

I started the 'tweaked cheap' Merlot on the skins of an Amarone kit. It works just fine (it's also the way that people recommend starting Skeeter Pee) but it's done in quick succession. Some will caution that if the first wine is compromised in any way that the second will inherit the issue.

The Baco Noir is from grapes that i'm getting pressed so I really want to keep the skins for a kit wine to give it some flavor.

Haha had to ask. Someone doing similar videos on making wine kits like the fontanas and bringing down to 5 gallons so was just curious if it was you..

Cheap kits

Yes looks like he is ,no problem at least I'm reaching out to an unknown audience without knowing?:h

Are any of you sending to the great white wine contest?would like to see how they play out with established White's,just a thought also 8f you are in start thinking about shipping.

Bottled the Mezza Luna Red a"la Joe's Tweaks tonight. This is only kit I have made twice because we liked the first one so much! Much to my surprise, it seems like a carbon copy..just as good as the last batch. Really think I should start the third batch right now...this one a decent early drinker, and it get's gone real fast!

reviewed notes...added 3# sugar as simple syrup and 1# of rasions...kit EC1118 yeast...started 19 Mar 2016...SG 1.11...finished/racked to glass 14 May 2016 and added 2 honeycombed cherry wood slats for two months...racked again 6 July 2016...bottled 23 Sept 2016...ABV 15.3 (never really sure my calcs)

bottom of the bucket sample was clear, dark color, had some aroma, and was already pretty smooth, not hot at all....and I know it gets better in the bottle.

Last edited:
Merlot was bottled last weekend and has sat resting. I gave a bottle to my dad to try (since he liked the last Merlot) and he gave it a surprising thumbs up so early. He commented that it was much smoother than the raspberry one.

I opened up a bottle last night to give it a try.
It's very light flavor; I find surprising that I found it so harsh earlier.

I'll give it a little more time before I start consuming that batch and see if I can hand off a case worth the original batch to my dad with promise of making him a riesling in the future.

@joeswine I think I may try that reserve du chateau cab/merlot next. How did that one turn out?

Can't get it yet, Amazon said they are out.

All of these cheap kits are a decent everyday wine the tasting is in the tasters palate.Give it a play it should be fine.SpikedLemon.are you stating what your father translated to you was different from your findings?

I bottled the Fontana cab sauvignon tonight that I put in the primary on 12/27/15. It was tweaked with leftover bag from my amarone batch, 1lb of sugar, raisins, and spent six weeks in the barrel. I had 3/4 of a bottle left and was going to use it as a topper bottle for the angels share on my barrel. One glass changed my mind and I finished the rest. This is an outstanding wine...just fantastic. I was blown away that it could be that good. Wife got a taste and I told her it was shot for at least 4-6mos with bottle shock. She didn't like what she heard and I saw her googling bottle shock and the frown on her face. Hopefully, she will keep her mitts off as she and her book club (aka wine club) have been know to decimate cellars in a nights review of some terrible read. Tweeking cheap kits does work!!!

good to hear of your results,:h and it's good to play with your drink isn't it.?

It tastes light to me too Joe. My tastebuds must have bee out of touch, or something, when I tried it in primary.
It's a very light, easy drinking, wine. I'll probably let it sit and age and have it as a slightly chilled summer wine for next year.

My Amarone, however, is still fizzy. Bloody thing just does not want to give up all its CO2. It's about 22C (71F) right now and has been, over a few weeks ago, sitting closer to 24-25C (75-77F).

Back