Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by joeswine, Dec 11, 2015.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Mar 21, 2016 #241

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

In the mix

should be no problem...:ib

2. Mar 21, 2016 #242

Tom

Tom

Tom

Joe, The Blackberry was a big hit here. My "taster" said just as good or better than the blueberry Pino Noir

3. Mar 21, 2016 #243

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

In the mix

this is toms taster, so far TOM has made at least 6 of these kits and has the process down.

now lets talk about something ,some say I can't make a basic PINO NOIR, that I have to add something to it, well that's just trash talk .MY reasoning is that I already have standard pino's (ex), I wanted to make something different and imprint my style using a base wine, being creative is what wine making should be at all times, every winery that I know of is always trying to create that perfect taste and they constantly,at every harvest try to achieve that end. what do you say!

10.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    corinth likes this.
  4. Mar 22, 2016 #244

jdwebb

jdwebb

jdwebb

Yes, mixed berry blackberry and raspberry. It wound up at 5 1/2 gallons.

5. Mar 22, 2016 #245

Mismost

Mismost

Mismost

now lets talk about something ,some I can't make a basic PINO NOIR, that I have to add something to it, well that's just trash talk .MY reasoning is that I already have standard pino's (ex), I wanted to make something different and imprint my style using a base wine, being creative is what wine making should be at all times, every winery that I know of is always trying to create that perfect taste and they constantly,at every harvest try to achieve that end. what do you say![/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I started brewing beer because I didn't want the same basic beer with a different label....Bud, Coors, Miller sell millions of bottles of beer....why would I want to make a beer like that? I simply want to make my beer, the way I want it to taste.

It's the same with wine. Yes, I am a fairly new wine maker. That is both a blessing and a curse. I am unencumbered with the knowledge of what particular types/styles should taste like...so if I like it, it's good....that the blessing. The curse is I may not be able to do it again the same way! I have also been know to change a peach apricot Charddonay to a Moscato because it sure wasn't a Chardonnay....but it was a decent Moscato! Frankly, I suspect some wineries of doing the same thing.

It is a wine kit and any body can read and make it just like the manufacturer wants it made. But, it is my kit, my money, my time, my pleasure and I'll make it any dad gum way I please...I will make it mine. If I must have a Basic Pinot Noir, I can save a lot of time and money and just go buy a bottle.....its just another Bud, Coors, or Miller, pick a name or a label. I am not about to give up 90% of the fun in wine making to simply follow directions written on a piece of paper.

Tweaking is fun, it's creative, and it tastes good to boot! I understand if some do not want to tweak, that's fine with me. Perhaps the real question is why some disagree strenously? Play nice, this sandbox ain't that big!

Kiazer, corinth and Quicksilver like this.
  6. Mar 22, 2016 #246

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

I cannot say for sure that you are wrong about the commercial wineries, but that would be a violation of federal and/or state labeling laws: http://www.ttb.gov/wine/grape-varieties.shtml

As a home winemaker, of course, you are free to do as you please, as you point out.

7. Mar 22, 2016 #247

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

Cheap kits

okay lets continue the flow...........anyone got pics????

2 kit box.jpg

IMG_20160112_182138197_HDR.jpg

1 Box.jpg

1 vino italiano super tuscan (2) - Copy.jpg

1.jpg

1a.jpg

8. Mar 25, 2016 #248

Billpizzaiolo

Billpizzaiolo

Billpizzaiolo

We just got back from China, Korea & Japan. Found two good Rice based wine products. RiceWine.JPG

YougurtSaki.JPG

9. Mar 25, 2016 #249

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

Bill have you made any of the cheap wine kits?

10. Mar 25, 2016 #250

Billpizzaiolo

Billpizzaiolo

Billpizzaiolo

A Month before we left I made your recipe with currants and the Fontana Cab Sauv kit. I just tasted it this morning. It is clear, dark and a slight bit sweet. I haven't tested it for sugar yet. It is ready for the next step (sterile filtering) and bottling. It will be good for guests that prefer a more "morbida e dolce" wine as they say in Italy. Next time i will use less sugar syrup or less currants. Thanks for the advice.

11. Mar 25, 2016 #251

Billpizzaiolo

Billpizzaiolo

Billpizzaiolo

I started my tweaked wine kit back in early February and posted on February 2, 2016.

12. Mar 25, 2016 #252

wineforfun

wineforfun

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi

@joeswine
    How much was that Cornucopia Red Zin kit? And is it a sweet wine?

13. Mar 28, 2016 #253

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

Cheap kits

wineforfun,will have to get back to you on the price ,it came from AMAZON, and it was a sweet wine.

14. Mar 28, 2016 #254

thruhike00

thruhike00

thruhike00

Junior Member WMT Supporter

All I can order on Amazon is the Fontana kits. All cornucopia kits are shown as unavailable on amazon to me. Are you still able to order?

15. Mar 29, 2016 #255

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

Cheap kits

They come and go you have to be aware that they are there.:ib

1 Box.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11A.jpg

19.jpg

24.jpg

16. Mar 29, 2016 #256

Spikedlemon

Spikedlemon

Spikedlemon

Hey guys, my local Costco had a deal on their 'cheap' wine kits (7L concentrate) - $15 off!
    I picked up the twin-pack of Merlot (they had also a Chard - but I've already got a Chard on the go).

I'm probably a week out from starting one of them so I want to gather the materials needed ahead.

I'm thinking Raspberry puree in the initial fermentation and some raisins (or craisins?). I plan to do the kit as a full 6Gal - mostly because my 5Gal carboys are occupied.

Any other thoughts of modifications that would go well with Merlot?

I'm not sure the yeast in the kit either, I'm assuming EC1118. Thoughts on using K1-V1116 instead?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  17. Mar 29, 2016 #257

wineforfun

wineforfun

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi

Joe,
    How did you cold soak your Fontana Chardonnay? Did you just put the juice bag in the fridge or what exactly did you do?

18. Mar 29, 2016 #258

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

Cheap kits

broke down the volume then placed in refrigerator, see pics. Make sure the wine is stable, place clear wrap over the top and place a rubber band around it ,walk away check after the first week or let set as needed..(wineforfun)
    SpikeLemon,if this is close to you first ventures then I would be careful on the volume your working with and balance, I would first make the merlot then when it's totally finished add the concentrate to it, Blackberries would have been my choice or Blueberries better taste pattern. Adding a small amount of oak and tannins to the primary will also work well,EC1118,stay with this it will do all you want it to do with certainty ESPECIALLY when your THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX..KEEP US INFORMED.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

24.jpg

22.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  19. Mar 30, 2016 #259

Spikedlemon

Spikedlemon

Spikedlemon

Joe, you're suggesting like back sweetening rather than fermenting with the fruit?

20. Mar 30, 2016 #260

GaryMRees

GaryMRees

GaryMRees

First of all I would like to thank Joeswine and all the others who have helped me down this path. I am using Argentia Ridge products from Costco in Canada. My greatest success was
    with their Merlot (downsized to 5 gallons) then adding steam juiced elderberries, tannin, acid blend, and pectin enzyme . Basically I made a gallon recipe of elderberry wine to the cheap kit. I have Cabernet Sauv with Cherries aging and Merlot Blueberry in secondary.

Costco has these kits on sale for $54.00 cdn that works out to $.68 bottle U.S.D. As the wild fruit matures this year I will be making tons of elderberry and chokecherry and Aronia.

I may call them "I'm not paying a buck chuck"

Boatboy24 likes this.