Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JD what do you think so far ? Take it slow on the process there's. Plenty of time.Tomhow did the BlackBerry pino turn Out? Fill us in okay.

Joe, The Blackberry was a big hit here. My "taster" said just as good or better than the blueberry Pino Noir

In the mix

this is toms taster, so far TOM has made at least 6 of these kits and has the process down.

now lets talk about something ,some say I can't make a basic PINO NOIR, that I have to add something to it, well that's just trash talk .MY reasoning is that I already have standard pino's (ex), I wanted to make something different and imprint my style using a base wine, being creative is what wine making should be at all times, every winery that I know of is always trying to create that perfect taste and they constantly,at every harvest try to achieve that end. what do you say!

10.jpg

Last edited:
now lets talk about something ,some I can't make a basic PINO NOIR, that I have to add something to it, well that's just trash talk .MY reasoning is that I already have standard pino's (ex), I wanted to make something different and imprint my style using a base wine, being creative is what wine making should be at all times, every winery that I know of is always trying to create that perfect taste and they constantly,at every harvest try to achieve that end. what do you say![/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I started brewing beer because I didn't want the same basic beer with a different label....Bud, Coors, Miller sell millions of bottles of beer....why would I want to make a beer like that? I simply want to make my beer, the way I want it to taste.

It's the same with wine. Yes, I am a fairly new wine maker. That is both a blessing and a curse. I am unencumbered with the knowledge of what particular types/styles should taste like...so if I like it, it's good....that the blessing. The curse is I may not be able to do it again the same way! I have also been know to change a peach apricot Charddonay to a Moscato because it sure wasn't a Chardonnay....but it was a decent Moscato! Frankly, I suspect some wineries of doing the same thing.

It is a wine kit and any body can read and make it just like the manufacturer wants it made. But, it is my kit, my money, my time, my pleasure and I'll make it any dad gum way I please...I will make it mine. If I must have a Basic Pinot Noir, I can save a lot of time and money and just go buy a bottle.....its just another Bud, Coors, or Miller, pick a name or a label. I am not about to give up 90% of the fun in wine making to simply follow directions written on a piece of paper.

Tweaking is fun, it's creative, and it tastes good to boot! I understand if some do not want to tweak, that's fine with me. Perhaps the real question is why some disagree strenously? Play nice, this sandbox ain't that big!

I have also been know to change a peach apricot Charddonay to a Moscato because it sure wasn't a Chardonnay....but it was a decent Moscato! Frankly, I suspect some wineries of doing the same thing.

I cannot say for sure that you are wrong about the commercial wineries, but that would be a violation of federal and/or state labeling laws: http://www.ttb.gov/wine/grape-varieties.shtml

As a home winemaker, of course, you are free to do as you please, as you point out.

Bill have you made any of the cheap wine kits?

A Month before we left I made your recipe with currants and the Fontana Cab Sauv kit. I just tasted it this morning. It is clear, dark and a slight bit sweet. I haven't tested it for sugar yet. It is ready for the next step (sterile filtering) and bottling. It will be good for guests that prefer a more "morbida e dolce" wine as they say in Italy. Next time i will use less sugar syrup or less currants. Thanks for the advice.

@joeswine
How much was that Cornucopia Red Zin kit? And is it a sweet wine?

Cheap kits

wineforfun,will have to get back to you on the price ,it came from AMAZON, and it was a sweet wine.

Hey guys, my local Costco had a deal on their 'cheap' wine kits (7L concentrate) - $15 off!
I picked up the twin-pack of Merlot (they had also a Chard - but I've already got a Chard on the go).

I'm probably a week out from starting one of them so I want to gather the materials needed ahead.

I'm thinking Raspberry puree in the initial fermentation and some raisins (or craisins?). I plan to do the kit as a full 6Gal - mostly because my 5Gal carboys are occupied.

Any other thoughts of modifications that would go well with Merlot?

I'm not sure the yeast in the kit either, I'm assuming EC1118. Thoughts on using K1-V1116 instead?

Last edited:
Joe,
How did you cold soak your Fontana Chardonnay? Did you just put the juice bag in the fridge or what exactly did you do?

Cheap kits

broke down the volume then placed in refrigerator, see pics. Make sure the wine is stable, place clear wrap over the top and place a rubber band around it ,walk away check after the first week or let set as needed..(wineforfun)
SpikeLemon,if this is close to you first ventures then I would be careful on the volume your working with and balance, I would first make the merlot then when it's totally finished add the concentrate to it, Blackberries would have been my choice or Blueberries better taste pattern. Adding a small amount of oak and tannins to the primary will also work well,EC1118,stay with this it will do all you want it to do with certainty ESPECIALLY when your THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX..KEEP US INFORMED.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

24.jpg

22.jpg

Last edited:
First of all I would like to thank Joeswine and all the others who have helped me down this path. I am using Argentia Ridge products from Costco in Canada. My greatest success was
with their Merlot (downsized to 5 gallons) then adding steam juiced elderberries, tannin, acid blend, and pectin enzyme . Basically I made a gallon recipe of elderberry wine to the cheap kit. I have Cabernet Sauv with Cherries aging and Merlot Blueberry in secondary.

Costco has these kits on sale for $54.00 cdn that works out to $.68 bottle U.S.D. As the wild fruit matures this year I will be making tons of elderberry and chokecherry and Aronia.

I may call them "I'm not paying a buck chuck"

Latest posts

Back