Tweaking Kits w/frozen must packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Keep us posted on how these wines evolve. You've got me excited to make some homemade grape-packs myself.

I have been using frozen Marquette skins with cheap kits. I use hot water up to the point of dilution of the concentrate them plunk in the ice block of skins. When all are thawed (about 15 min) I pitch the yeast. Worked fine 15 times now. I don't use a bag in primary. I strain it thru a 5 gal paint bag at transfer to secondary.

I have been using frozen Marquette skins with cheap kits. I use hot water up to the point of dilution of the concentrate them plunk in the ice block of skins. When all are thawed (about 15 min) I pitch the yeast. Worked fine 15 times now. I don't use a bag in primary. I strain it thru a 5 gal paint bag at transfer to secondary.

I am curious, would the extraction of the grapes be more complete if the grapes are left to "roam" around the primary versus being somewhat contained in a nylon sack? And does squeezing the bag daily improve extration or just make my hands purple? I picked up the habit from the Dragon Blood process, but it is not something I have ever heard of associated with traditional wine making (apart from punching down the cap, which is not really comparable). Opinions?

Back