Transporting Carboys & Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter1

Junior
Reaction score
Within the next two weeks, I'll be relocating my family from the Midwest to Southern California for a job move. My son and I will be driving since the moving company will not transport my 2 full Vadai barrels, nor my five, 5-gal carboys which are full of Cabernet Sauvignon from fresh grapes last fall. I would have preferred to bottle all before moving but the timing/aging wasn't right so I decided to drive with the two full 20L barrels and the full carboys.

Anyone have experience in a long distance drive moving barrels/carboys? I think I should be fine with air locks on the carboys and a solid bung in each of the barrels but wanted to see if anyone on the forum had done this before and could offer up any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Try to get milk crates for the carboys to set in and tape the bungs in place. The barrels I am not sure what the preferred method would be.

Think I have seen where others have fastened the carboys in with seat belts and moved successfully. Moving your barrels, maybe in a pickup or a big car trunk and tie em in good. Good luck with the move. Arne.

Wow, sounds like a you will be in store for some changes! I might think about using a solid stopper instead of an air lock. Small piece of duct tape to keep them in place while on the trip. Also remember that if they go from say 70 degrees to something warmer (like 80) that the expansion of alcohol at warmer temps is going to create pressure and gonna move the wine level up and up. You may need to remove some while on the road if it gets too warm. Hopefully you will have them inside in some air conditioning!

I moved 8 carboys from NGa to sw FL over 650 mi. In summer. I left the air locks on & taped them in with packing tape, less residue than duct tape. All arrived safe & sound. A few wines expanded slightly into the air locks but NO harm. Thats why i didnt want to use solid bungs, i knew the wine would expand in the SUV! You could lower the levels in the carboy before u leave or just deal with the expansion. Roy

Thanks all for the terrific (and reassuring) advice. I think I will keep the air locks on the carboys, but lightly taped in place. I left about 1-1.5 inches of headspace in each carboy to allow for expansion throughout our 4-day journey. As for the barrels, I think I will lightly tape the solid silicon bungs in place and wedge those barrels into the SUV to minimize any movement. Will probably leave a little headspace in those barrels as well.

Can't wait to start our new adventure in San Diego! Like I stated earlier, moving from Wisconsin to San Diego on a job relocation. If nothing else, at least I'm much closer to my fresh grape sources come fall!

Thanks again!

Pete

Make sure the liquid in the air locks is clean and sterile. If it gets sucked into the wine it won't contaminate it.

Great reminder! I will definitely be sure to change out the liquid in the air locks prior to the drive. Thanks!

Pete

Peter, guessing you cannot measure the amount of S02 you have in each carboy, I would add 1/4 tsp of meta in each one. The wine is going to get beat up a bit traveling around and you'l be losing some in the move. This will help protect it.

One other thing, you mite want to contact the states you are going to be transporting the wine thru and make sure there are going to be no problems hauling the amount of wine you are bringing thru the state if you happen to get stopped for anything. You don't want to start out your new job known as a smuggler. Arne.

Latest posts

Back