transfer point

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
What is a good SG point on when to transfer from the primary to secondary? A lot of recipes that i've seen in books states 1.030 but i've read some post on here let it go to 1.010.

I ferment dry in the primary. Transferring prior to a carboy too soon could lead to several problems including a stuck fermentation and excess sulfur smells (not k meta sulfur).

What is a good SG point on when to transfer from the primary to secondary? A lot of recipes that i've seen in books states 1.030 but i've read some post on here let it go to 1.010.

Don't look at the numbers, look at the wine !!!

I suppose this is a wine made from juice, not pulp fermenting.

I am doing a series of stories on my weblog about pulpfermenting. It is not about SG numbers however there might be some information in it that might interest you.

The best time for juice wines to transfer is when vigorous fermentation has ceased.
The purpose of fermenting in a primary is (again not talking about pulp-fermentation) to keep excessive foaming under control. When vigorous fermentation is over it is safe to transfer to a secondary.

Another method, used for centuries by winemakers all over the world is the method djrockinsteve describes.

Luc

Last edited:
The wine kits recommend 1.010 or lower. This isn't a magic number, I shoot for 1.000 to 1.005 before racking to secondary. The purpose as I understand it is just to insure that the fermentation activity has slowed to the point that you don't risk foaming into your airlock, which gets messy (yep, done that).

a method i use...it is post vigorous fermentation in conjunction with something very important....when you the have time :)

Transfer according to your recipe. It the transfer point is not stated in your recipe, go by what Luc said - when fermentation slows.

Way too many happy faces on Al's postings lately. He must have cut way down on the making and stepped up on the sampling. :dg

Latest posts

Back