Trail Cam info needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a trail cam and trying to figure out which is the best and most reliable one out there. I know there must be a bunch of folks on here that use them in the woods and for security reasons. I'm looking for any recommendations.

i don't have any dan, but have read about using a home security webcam with a rigged cell/modem/battery setup. it isn't as cool looking as the camo ones, but you can access them from a remote pc instead of retrieving an sd card when you want to see whats going on. it also costs a lot less money, so if somebody finds and takes it, your'e not out a coulple of hundred dollars.

I have a couple of them, but they're in the woods so I can't tell you anything about them! :)

I Have a Moultrie trailcam. My driveway comes to a tee. You can go left or right. At the tee, I put my trailcam hoping to get a picture of any cars coming in. The problem is it has a 2 second warm up ( to protect the life of the battries ) By the time it turns on in 2 seconds the car is gone! In one week I had 100 pictures of an empty driveway!
I'm going to look for one without a delay.

Dan there is a huge range of cameras available today. You need to decide what you want to accomplish with it. Are you monitoring a building or property or are you scouting for that huge buck of a lifetime? Then set a price range and explore all the optins within that range. A lot of times you will want more than one of them if you are scouting an area for the best deer, so you can probably get by with a bit less expensive cameras. You probably already know all this, but giving it all thought will narrow down your myriad of choices.

Thanks everyone. I guess one thing I am looking for is which brands to stay away from because they're junk or poor quality. My usage will be more to catch critters and deer in the yard but I hate paying 100-150 to find out I bought a pieace of crap. When not in the yard I might just hide it in the garage for unknown security reasons rather than in a closet somewhere.

Dan, when I was looking for one for my husband, went to Cabela's and searched when I found ones that seemed to be what he would like, read the reviews, that helped in deciding on which one to buy. Must have done a good job,,he is happy and we have used it around the yard to see what was getting into the dumpster,,lol

That was two years ago, but it is the Moultrie Gamespyi40 has rapid release time and infrared flash:h

Mine are also Moultrie. No problems through time and weather ...

I don't get it....
onion_msn_smileys-26.gif

Back