Other Topping Off a Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I had the Cellar Craft Washington Yakima Valley Syrah in a 5 gal carboy, racked to the 6 gal carboy for stabilization and clearing. I needed to top off the carboy but did not have a syrah. I topped off with a cabmerlot I made a couple of months ago. I had to add 2 bottles.
Is this going to change the taste of the syrah at all??
smiley5.gif

2 bottles is bound to change it just a tiny bit, but won't affect it enough to be off target-unless the other wine is really, really bad. Did you put it in the 6 gallon for the process and then put back in the 5- or did you keep it in the 6 and then top up?

Appleman, lol, I hope the Cabmerlot I made isn't "really really bad"!! Smelled good when I poured it in there. haha

I added the 2 bottles when I transferred from the 5 gal to the 6 gal carboy.

Why I asked is that would leave an awful lot of headspace unless other additives were put in. Did you have some original topping up wine left from the start?

No, not at all. I used a 5 gal carboy for the primary process. Didn't have to top off at all.
Transferred to the 6 gal and had ALOT of space left over!! So I topped off with 2 bottles of wine and a 1/2 bottle of water.
I thought it was odd.

That is really strange. It sounds more like you had a 6 and a 6.5 gallon carboy, not 5 and 6. If you had a six and 5, it would have take 5 extra bottles to make up the gallon. The 6 gallon would have been the correct size for the initial amount also. Check for a number on the bottom, although I recently had a 5 given to me that was marked with a six on the bottom. You could take a gallon milk jug and fill the carboy with 5 of them and see if it is full or a gallon short, that would tell you for sure.

Appleman, I think I will do that. The 5 gal I got at a Thrift Store. The other carboys I bought from George as 6 gal carboys.

I use the 6-gallon carboys (Better Bottles) through stabilization and clearing. I hate to go open a bottle or two of wine to add to the 6-gallon to get the right head space. So when the wine is clear I rack to a 5-gallon carboy for bulk aging. I have a full carboy and a bottle or more to enjoy now!

Seems counter productive to open bottles of wine now to get bottles of wine later.

Wayne

Sue, at the time (when I was freaking over all the head space) I never thought about paying Peter to pay Paul. I just hope I didn't screw this one up.
Next time I will transfer over from 6 gal to 5 gal so as not to rob from my wine rack.
smiley19.gif

Me thinks you need to stop testing so much or racking too much or be more careful racking, I have never had to add more then 1 bottle.

Did you ever check your primary bucket for accuracy and what was the range given for SG on this kit and what dd you have for a starting SG?

Wade, primary bucket is the size it is supposed to be. S.G reading for this wine was right on.
Thanks for the help, I have it under control.

UAV, Im just asking cause most including all 4 of my primary buckets scale are off by almost 1/4 gallon. 2 of them are from George and 2 of them were different from a local retailer.

I always top off using and re-using glass beads/marbles I purchased at a hobby shop. Never have to worry about matching the wine or use an expensive commercial wine to top off.

Welcome PatL. You aren't the only one here doing that. It is a great way to top off when you only need fairly small amounts of space to fill. Thanks for reminding us of this. A lot of newer member have never heard of this and a reminder such as this is helpful from time to time.

Appleman, I concurr.
smiley36.gif
I think I need to go to the "marble" store. haha

Pat, cute dog.
smiley4.gif
I am thinking I will go shopping for marbles tomorrow.

Appleman, by the way, how many marbles would I need? 3 bags? 10 bags?

Back