Topping off a 6 gallon carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wine Spectator had a scientist test the vacuum levels achievable by a Vac-u-vin, and he found it could remove about 70% of the air just after pumping: http://johnonwine.com/2009/12/17/friends-dont-let-friends-vacu-vin/

I would imagine this is obvious, but just in case: the bulb will become flat long before all the air is removed from the vessel. That is, it is not the case that the bulb deflates, say, 10% when you remove 10% of the air, and 40% when you remove 40% of the air, etc.

OK, so I removed 70% of the oxygen that would have gotten to my wine. Seems like a win to me.

@ Paul

Not sure what you are trying to get across ?

The headspace eliminator will not collapse until approx 10 inches of vacuum is achieved due to the integrity of the bulb itself.

Mostly, I was trying to convey that a flattened bulb is NOT an indicator that all (or even most) of the air was removed. I was trying to explain this because a large number of people have indicated that they believe this is the case. Thank you for clarifying. It is good for everyone to know that a flattened bulb indicates that the vacuum level is at least 10 inches Hg. (Or, put another way, more than 1/3 of the air has been removed.)

Latest posts

Back