Little floaties on top of my Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Racked this wine out of primary and topped off with a commercial wine yesterday. Almost immediately I noticed small pieces floating at the neck. If I jiggled the carboy they broke apart and floated in the carboy in chunky pieces. Never saw this before.

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpeg
    IMG_1762.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1764.jpeg
    IMG_1764.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Racked this wine out of primary and topped off with a commercial wine yesterday. Almost immediately I noticed small pieces floating at the neck. If I jiggled the carboy they broke apart and floated in the carboy in chunky pieces. Never saw this before. This is a Winexpert kit and after primary the lees was extra heavy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
hmmm.....now that's an interesting observation but I made my additions as I have in the past with no issues. That would be the best case scenario.
Personally, I tend to fully dissolved my kmeta additions in 20 ml to 50 ml of distilled water, because in a 6 gal carboy of red wine it's both difficult to see if it fully dissolved and the impact on taste of 50 ml of distilled water is minimal, even after the 2 or 3 additions I tend to do during bulk aging. Alternatively, you could pull out 50 ml or so of wine with a sanitized wine thief and mix the kmeta in a sanitized glass or beaker then return the sample to your carboy.

Personally, I tend to fully dissolved my kmeta additions in 20 ml to 50 ml of distilled water, because in a 6 gal carboy of red wine it's both difficult to see if it fully dissolved and the impact on taste of 50 ml of distilled water is minimal, even after the 2 or 3 additions I tend to do during bulk aging. Alternatively, you could pull out 50 ml or so of wine with a sanitized wine thief and mix the kmeta in a sanitized glass or beaker then return the sample to your carboy.
Yes I have drawn wine out and mixed as you said.

Yes I have drawn wine out and mixed as you said.
Gotcha, well if you consistently added kmeta in that manner and you're sure you fully dissolved it before adding it to the carboy then I think you can rule that theory out. I've never seen anything exactly like that in my wines, but I have seen other random specs or floating bits, but that has always been in fresh grape wines, not kits, so can't really explain what you have there. In my experience as long as you're patient, keep the sulphite levels right and rack every 3 or so months, all those impurities should dissappear after 2 or 3 rackings in bulk aging.

Gotcha, well if you consistently added kmeta in that manner and you're sure you fully dissolved it before adding it to the carboy then I think you can rule that theory out. I've never seen anything exactly like that in my wines, but I have seen other random specs or floating bits, but that has always been in fresh grape wines, not kits, so can't really explain what you have there. In my experience as long as you're patient, keep the sulphite levels right and rack every 3 or so months, all those impurities should dissappear after 2 or 3 rackings in bulk aging.
They actually disappeared today.

Back