TO SPARKLE..or...NOT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
This is the only time of the year that the downstairs of our house can get cool...too warm for a wood fire and not hot enough for air conditioning....it was 57*F in the root cellar/wine cellar today.

We have a horrible North wind blowing right from Hudson Bay...or from Jack on Rainy...it is ushering in a massive late winter/spring storm....we did break down and light a wood fire to accommodate the seedlings growing under lights in the laundry room...so it is warming up down there.

Today we huddled in our humble abode and bottled some Hard Apple Cider and some **Sparkling Apple Wine**...thinking the basement might be too cold for the carbonation and secondary fermentation I put our new babies in the office where it is warmer....will give them a couple weeks up here sharing our warmth.

warmSmall.jpg

Hope they start getting bubbly and we can enjoy some later this summer...if summer ever comes.

Looking good NW. Im cheating from now on that I have the mans to force carbonate. I still need to pick up the special bottle filler so that it wont lose carbonation when I go to bottle them. My local brew supply store is doing the paper work to get in the new beer gun which is supposed to be the best for doing this and easier then all the other bottle fillers for this method.

Does your wine stay carbonated after you bottle it???
That would sure save a lot of hassle.

The neighbor has a kegging system...he said he could do a gallon of wine at a time fo r me if I wanted....Might get together with him sometime and try it.

I havent bottled from the keg yet as I need that filler or it would lose carbonation. Soon though!

Wade I din't know they had regulated beer gun sales. I guess It's good that paperwork is necessary before buying a beer gun though. You can't be too careful with those gun toting beer drinkers.

Beer guns??? I thought alcohol and lead don't mix....
smiley2.gif

Maybe I'll stick to secondary fermentation in the bottle.
smiley4.gif

wade said:
My local brew supply store is doing the paper work to get in the new beer gun which is supposed to be the best for doing this and easier then all the other bottle fillers for this method.

Wade - Could you post ( or PM ) some info on that beer gun you are considering?
I'm working on getting set up to force carb and bottle too.
Thanks!

</span>BeerGun Stainless Bottle Filler
This tool purges the bottles with C02 to eliminate 02 and then fills the bottle with liquid and C02 to eliminate much foaming and loss of carbonation. It is much easier then using the standard counter pressure filler as you dont have diffrent valves to open and close at the same time.

Ok, thanks! That's the one I have been looking at too.
I was wondering if you had found another option, but it's the same one.

Yes, my research has also lead me to believe this will work for bottling carbed fluid.
If you get one, please let me know how well it works.
I have a6 gal batch of Apfelwein that has just passed the 4 week mark, and should be ready soon.
I got three nice used cornies locallyfor $45.
I'm still researching the tank/regulator/etc.

I see there are CO2 filters available for the CO2 lines.
Is that something that should be used, or is it not necessary?

I dont have 1 of those filters and dont know of any 1 that does but thats not a bad idea, just dont know how much 1 is needed.

Latest posts

Back