Nervous: Cellar Classic Cab Sauvignon Not Fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinomom

Junior
Reaction score
No signs of fermentation that I can see and I'm getting nervous. Here's some facts:

We bought a Cellar Classic Cabernet Sauvignon wine kit. It's only our second kit. We placed the container next to a carboy of Green Apple Reisling. The carboy has shown a temp of 70-72. I don't have a thermometer to test the CS kit. I'll do better and get one asap. The Cabernet S. is sitting several feet off the floor, about waste high and we've even wrapped a few blankets around it. After 48 hours we moved the Cabernet S. to a closet under the stairs that has a lightbulb shining for extra warmth just in case it was too cool for fermentation to start.

I'm at the 72 hour mark and we just took another SG reading.
The reading is 1.092, same reading as when we started.
Airlock is not bubbling and I hear no fizzing in the container.
I see no visible signs of foaming when we lifted the lid. We resterilized the lid since we touched it and resealed it again.
I don't recall the name of the yeast that came with this kit.

We did call out retailer at midday today and he told us to give him a call Tuesday if it still wasn't fermenting as expected. That would put us at the 5 day mark. Have we really done all we can do at this point to maintain the integrity of the kit and not screw up the process?

All of my kits started fermentation within 24 hours. I'd try another packet of yeast ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I suppose I have to agree with Norton. Although there will be a lag phase before you see obvious signs of activity and reduction of SG, 72 hours seems a bit excessive. You'd be safer getting a fresh pack of yeast. It cannot hurt anything.

I agree with all of the above.
In reading your description, I would have to also say that your kit supplied packet of yeast was probably bad.

I also agree that you should try add a new, fresh packet of wine yeast as soon as you can.

Purple Wine Scum Might Be Good?

I've looked at things again this morning and I see a purple wine scum that wasn't present evening before last. I HOPE this is a good sign. Is it?

I took another SG reading and it's a minute change from the 1.092, barely enough to call a change, but it's 1.091.

I wouldn't wait to long. Might have to increase temp. I had a kit with a temp of 72. Didn't start until I warmed it up to 76 3days later and it started bubbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I wouldn't wait to long. Might have to increase temp. I had a kit with a temp of 72. Didn't start until I warmed it up to 76 3days later and it started bubbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

You were right on the money with this tip on temperature. This was my second batch and the temps in our area have had some serious fluctuations. Moving the batch to a warmer area under the stairs, wrapping in blankets, turning up the house temp to 75 and turning the light on above it did the trick after 36 hours. .

I got a thermometer reading that read 78 so we turned out the light a few hours ago. It took 48 hours to get it to this point and thank goodness the stuff is fermenting nicely. Lesson learned: I now have my spot that's perfect temp for secondary fermentation and my spot that's perfect for primary.

It felt like an episode of Grey's Anatomy but we triaged wine.

Glad to hear it is going now. What yeast are you using? Normally, 70-72 is plenty warm enough for most yeasts to get going.

Lalvin Yeast/ Brew Belt: Anyone Use This?

Glad to hear it is going now. What yeast are you using? Normally, 70-72 is plenty warm enough for most yeasts to get going.

I used the Lalvin yeast, probably the RC 212. I don't recall the specifics, just guessing based on that one being the one for reds that comes in RJ Spagnols kits typically.

But now that I look back it was just not warm enough to get going in the regular time frame. I had it in a cooler closet with temps around 68 and that was too low. I am thinking of investing in the brew belt that I've seen advertised. Ever use this product?

I have one, and usually use it in secondary, as the yeast is getting weak and temps are dropping. Keeping things a little warmer seems to help it get through those last few days. My basement stays around 67-68 most of the year.

Latest posts

Back