to prune or not to prune,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
that is the question...

does anyone think it wise to remove theleaves and/or shootsthat are blocking steady, directsunlight from the clusters in order to exposethem tomaximal directsunlight???
right now, the grapes seem to be doing well, but theyare in partial shade all afternoon [dappled light filtering through leaves]starting around noon [i use the E-W orientation of my rows].

I have E-W rows too.....Didn't do enough research at first, it seemed the best for airflow for us....Also didn't plan on having this many grapes...thought a row or two would be nice for breakfast juice.

I recently took off a lot of foliage off the North side....hoping that the grapes will get some morning and evening sun....Did prune awhile back...perhaps too much. So far no sun scald....

It's getting late in our area to prune too much...Wanting stuff to start hardening off before winter...[
smiley7.gif
].....I have to quit picking roses soon too so it won't encourage new growth.

You want a dappled sushine. Direct sunshine by opening up too much can cause sunburn on the clusters and result in some rot. I do pull some leaves but try not to get the clusters fully exposed. Once in a while certain varieties seem to be particularly vulnerable to sunburn- Noiret for example. Out of 25 varieties all thinned the same amount, they are the only one to have a bit of sunburn. A lot depends on the age of the vines. Anything less than 3 or 4 years old probably doesn't need thinning.

My tomatoes are sun scalding...
smiley7.gif
Think I am going to throw some old potato vines or corn stalks over them for protection...

Back