To Heat or Not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRM

Junior
Reaction score
This is the beginner section so here goes another beginner question. I have 50 lbs of muscadines, frozen at the present time. I plan to thaw crush and strain and then begin the fermentation process. I have read that juice extraction with a food mill is easier if the grapes are heated. I have also read that muscadine should not be heated, So to heat or not?

Thanks

myself I wouldn't heat them, once thawed they will crush fairly easy if they're ripe they'll almost be mushy before you get them completely thawed or at least mine have been.

the ones I've been pciking are at the peak being ripe and almost juice themselves in the buckets

Greetings and welcome to the one of the most exciting hobbies!
I would allow the grapes to thaw without heating, keeping them tightly covered in your primary fermenter. Have they been sulfited prior to freezing? Are they your grapes or from a distributor? Red, white or a blend? If you are planning to strain I'm assuming you are striving for a white wine. I anticipate your reply!

I would allow the grapes to thaw without heating, keeping them tightly covered in your primary fermenter. Have they been sulfited prior to freezing? Are they your grapes or from a distributor? Red, white or a blend? If you are planning to strain I'm assuming you are striving for a white wine. I anticipate your reply!

DeChaunac hits the ground running.......

Welcome aboard, both of you.

I would not boil. Thaw them and let the Pectic Enzyme do its thing befoer adding yeast.

They were not sulfited before freezing. The muscadines are a combination of types, some mine but a large portion were from a vineyard nearby that was going to discard them because they were to ripe to sell at the farmers market. I rinsed and froze.
Thanks for all reply's.Based on the response I will not heat.

Back