Other To filter before bulk ageing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Reaction score
Hi guys

I just wondered if there is any reason you would not filter a wine once all the fermentation is finished and before you bulk aged for 6 months or so before final bottling. I know most may say it's the last procedure before bottling but I just wondered is there any reason it has to be done last or any science behind it?

Presumably once filtered it won't drop much if any more sediment

You want to let the wine settle as much as possible on its own before you filter otherwise you are putting a lot more gunk into the filter which will make it clog quicker. Let gravity do the work for you and save yourself a lot of headaches.

OK ,, to broaden the question ,, "to filter or not to filter??" In searching for an answer, one will find as many reasons NOT to do the process as there are TO do it. I would venture a guess that the majority of home wine-makers have not/will not venture the expense or time. IMHO it is merely a step that the commercial side of winemaking uses to get the product on the shelves asap... Personally, I advocate the TIME method. Proven to work well!

OK ,, to broaden the question ,, "to filter or not to filter??" In searching for an answer, one will find as many reasons NOT to do the process as there are TO do it. I would venture a guess that the majority of home wine-makers have not/will not venture the expense or time.

A question which has been bantered on this site and many others, really with no definitive answer. Tests claiming it strips taste, others claiming it doesn't. For what it's worth, here's my two cents.

When I started, I struggled with the decision of filtering. I own a Buon Vino Super Jet filter, and frankly, I use it very little. I never use it with my high end reds, but will sometimes with whites and / or Island Mist type kits (red or white) where the flavoring comes from something other than juice and grapes (like fpacs). Generally the stuff I bottle earlier.

I figure, I'm going to bulk age for extended periods of time anyway with my high end kits, so it's going to happen naturally anyway, let nature do her thing. Certainly no harm there.

In my beginning days, I bottled following manufacturer recommendations, and sometimes bulk aging a few months beyond. Today, as I open those wines, some light sedimentation exists. It's no big deal, and I've seen lots of commercial unfiltered wines with a little sediment, but I prefer to minimize it by bulk aging longer. Besides, one hardly ever buys a decent wine in the store that's not 2 years old anyway, why should I drink my "decent" ones any earlier.

In the end, as I can see it, it's a personal decision of the winemaker, and once a wine is clear, filter it if you want to, don't filter if you don't want to. As posted earlier, if you do filter, filter to polish already clear wine, and do it right before you bottle.

So John,
Thanks for all that info. Just to clarify, whether it is a kit or not, it is ok to not filter? Even if it is a 30 day kit?
And is a 30 day kit ok to keep in a carboy and let bulk age?
Thanks

So John,
Thanks for all that info. Just to clarify, whether it is a kit or not, it is ok to not filter? Even if it is a 30 day kit?
And is a 30 day kit ok to keep in a carboy and let bulk age?
Thanks

My opinion? It's ok to filter, it's ok to not filter. Although some feel strongly in either direction, I think it's the winemakers choice, after all, it's your wine. One should allow any wine, whether from kit, grape, or fruit to clear properly before filtering. No matter how many "days" the kit cites. IMHO, filtering should never be a substitute for the natural, gravitational clearing which will occur. If wine won't clear with time, there's a problem to identify and solve.

One can age a "30 day kit" as long as desired. I don't proclaim to know the answer, but for any wine, there's an age when it's best. I tend to believe that the bigger the wine, the older that optimum time is. Conversely, the " smaller" the kit, the earlier the optimal time. I go for big, full bodied, tannic kits with grape packs and lots of oak. They take time to grow up just like big cabs. I would personally bulk age any kit or wine at least 6 months to completely drop sediment before bottling. Big boys, closer to a year.

My personal opinions and certainly not the definitive word on the subject. Hope that helps.

My opinion? It's ok to filter, it's ok to not filter. Although some feel strongly in either direction, I think it's the winemakers choice, after all, it's your wine. One should allow any wine, whether from kit, grape, or fruit to clear properly before filtering. No matter how many "days" the kit cites. IMHO, filtering should never be a substitute for the natural, gravitational clearing which will occur. If wine won't clear with time, there's a problem to identify and solve.

One can age a "30 day kit" as long as desired. I don't proclaim to know the answer, but for any wine, there's an age when it's best. I tend to believe that the bigger the wine, the older that optimum time is. Conversely, the " smaller" the kit, the earlier the optimal time. I go for big, full bodied, tannic kits with grape packs and lots of oak. They take time to grow up just like big cabs. I would personally bulk age any kit or wine at least 6 months to completely drop sediment before bottling. Big boys, closer to a year.

My personal opinions and certainly not the definitive word on the subject. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much John,

Those are great answers to my questions. Thank you for your generous inputs. I certainly appreciate your opinion... What do you mean by big or small wines?

Thanks so much John,

Those are great answers to my questions. Thank you for your generous inputs. I certainly appreciate your opinion... What do you mean by big or small wines?

I consider big wines to be big, bold, tannic wines, with skins and oak, lots of total dissolved solids, typically your higher end red kits.

Smaller wines, which are earlier drinkers, I think are the kits you add a lot of water to, lower line stuff, not a lot more than your juice and maybe an fpack. Less TDS, not a lot of aging and flavor integrated.

Caveat, we see joeswine enhance these lower end kits with his own additives to make them much "bigger".

Clear as mud?

Latest posts

Back