Mosti Mondiale Time to start this Gran Barolo!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trashy,

You can also get a fine screen mesh bag (paint strainer, 5 gallon size) and put it over like a hat. The elastic band keeps it snug against your primary and the fine screen keeps dust and hair and critters out.

Trashy, I did the MM Meglioli Barolo last year and the standard fermenter was fine. When racking to secondary I did, however, put 3 pints into a 1/2 gal jug to make room for all the oak. I used the jug to top up later.

PeterZ said:
Trashy, I did the MM Meglioli Barolo last year and the standard fermenter was fine. When racking to secondary I did, however, put 3 pints into a 1/2 gal jug to make room for all the oak. I used the jug to top up later.

Sounds like a plan, thanks!

added the raisins and stirred last night, nice steady sizzling sound this morning!

This morning the smell of fermentation worked it's way out of the guest bathroom and into the wine room. Granbarolo raisins are floating on top, lots of fizzing noise. Go yeasties go!

ok, so I started off with an SG of 1.088 - instructions say to stir days 3-5 and when theh SG gets down to the 1.040 to 1.050 range to rack to a carboy.

Yesterday was day four and SG comes in at 1.006!

Fermentation is still decent - should I rack any way?

2802_194300555436_648515436_6843224_1892125_n.jpg

Is there an oak pack to go in the secondary with the wine???

I'm guessing they want them in the secondary....AT winestock Matteo said fermenting on the oak in the secondary helped to give the wine a more rounded oak flavor....I have had some VN kits get little past the SG they wanted to rack at and I just let it sit in the secondary few weeks longer...Good Luck

Bert said:
I'm guessing they want them in the secondary....AT winestock Matel said fermenting on the oak in the secondary helped to give the wine a more rounded oak flavor....I have had some VN kits get little past the SG they wanted to rack at and I just let it sit in the secondary few weeks longer...Good Luck

I haven't racked to the secondary yet...

appleman said:
Is the SG 1.006 or 1.060? If it is really 1.006, rack it NOW! If 1.060, it has a ways to go. Always go by SG not days!

It's definitely 1.006 - those rehydrated yeasties really went to town! Time to rack.

Racking is done, oak was added, raisins were squeezed, yeast nutrient was added. Nice active secondary fermentation is ongoing.

We ended up with around a half liter of leftover wine that wouldn't fit in the 6-gal. carboy. Saved it for later topping off, but wow. That's a lot of juice!

I just got my Barolo today!!!

I am keeping a close eye on this thread. This will be my first wine. I am really excited. I am not sure when I can start it, I travel each week for work. I will figure a way to make it work.

I look forward to watching the progress here........

Joel

Hey Joel - I have enjoyed samplingthe Barolos and look forward to making one - welcome to the forum!
Wayne

So how close did it get Trashy. I forgot to mention this but i think George had photos in here somewhere about a kit in his store where it had overflowed the bucket and think it was around the time when they were having a hurricane I believe, glad yours fermented safely though.

wade said:
So how close did it get Trashy. I forgot to mention this but i think George had photos in here somewhere about a kit in his store where it had overflowed the bucket and think it was around the time when they were having a hurricane I believe, glad yours fermented safely though.

No danger at all, just sizzled away nicely.

Hello Trashy.

FYI, we bottled a MM Master's Gran Barolo about 4 weeks ago. Our sample tastes so far indicate it is really going to be good.

Followed the instructions pretty much as they are written. Had no overflow worries either at primary or secondary fermentation.

Probably will buy another one.

Regards,

Steve

SG ended up down at 0.994, just did the secondary racking off the lees, added metabisulfite, clarifiers, etc.

Now I'm reading the instructions regarding topping up, and they specifically recommend a 'finished wine' and specifically warn against adding water.

So now I'm wondering why I saved the half-liter from the original racking? It has had no oak, and it isn't finished. Do any of you use this for top-up or do you always use another wine? And if you use another wine, what wine would work best with this particular kit?

And how come I end up with so many questions every single time I do a kit? LOL

Latest posts

Back