Thoughts on elderberry wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
I made up a batch of elderberry a year or so ago. It is still in the carboy. Anyway, drew a little out a while back, and really didn't like the taste. Made a batch of blush with it, and it is not quite as bad, but still. Stretched this out well as I made a batch of skeeter pee with the lees. That was not my best project, but it all disappeared. I used 18 lb. of elderberries, cleaned and destemed and made 5 gal. with it. Took a sample to my local brew store and asked the owner to try it. He said he didn't like elderberry, but tried it anyway. Bad look onhis face, and said yup that is elderberry. He said it tasted right, and I'm thinking it isn't quite right. Have had a couple others taste it and they say it is ok. Had a friend taste it the other night and he almost spit it out. This is the strange part, he said it tasted like beer. He liked the other samples I gave him, just not the elderberry. His boy said it was pretty good. Anyway, I am kinda wondering if the strength of the juice varies across the country. I know Cracked Cork and a few others have made it out of pure juice or close to it. Thinking about trying some berries from somewhere else and see if they come out any better. These came from my backyard, so I have some control over them. Maybe should grub them out and try some other fruit. Arne.

Arne,

the flavor of the elderberry will change from season to season. I notice that in mine. Did you backsweeten it at all? I have noticed that I have no set reading that I backsweeten to with elderberry. There are some years I backsweetened to 1.004 and other years that I had to go as high as 1.016 for it to taste right.

I've noticed starnge things with my first elderberry batch. It was made with 3#/g.

The elderberry flavor started out quite strong. It was so delish at 6mos in the carboy that I added med american oak. After 3 mos with oak it was awesome! I gave it another 3 mos post oak, still awesome and bottled dry.

After 3 mos in the bottle, the oak had faded a bit, overall it was still excellent. I've tried a couple of more bottles (after another 3 mos) and the berry flavor has all but disappeared - like slightly flavored acid water.

Wine does go through some funky stages along the way, so I'm going to give the remainder a few more months and taste again. At this point I'm thinking 3#/g is OK for an early drinker, but peaks and starts to decline way too fast.

I have another batch that been about a year in the carboy done basically the same way. It is very, very good at this point. We'll see how it evolves. If it starts out as good as the last batch, I'll make sure I drink all 30 bottles in the first 3-6 months :)

My plans for future batches are going to be something between 3#/g and pure juice. Elderberry juice is a bit acidic straight, so my plan is to start with straight juice and dilute until the acidity is in the .5 - .6 range.

Back sweeten to 1.008 or there about and check the acid. I tend to take my elderberry to .75-.80%. You'll notice vast improvements.

My first batch of elderberry was made with dried berries from the local supply store, added a few welch's conc cans to it and I thought it came out great. Reminds me of a bold red wine. I have also observed that you have to like the fruit in order to like the wine. I have had people try some wines when they dont like the fruit on its own and they never like it..

I'll keep playing with it. If I come up with something that makes me like it will let you all know. Thanks for the suggestions. Arne.

Yesterday I ordered Barolo and Shiraz Vino Italiano kits from Amazon. I'm going to use one of these as a base for elderberry - 3#/g with grape juice instead of water should make a huge diff.

Arne I back sweetened mine with welches grape juice until I like the outcome but I also used a med. toast american oak in it and I think it turned out great that was at four pounds per gallon I will save you a bottle of it and bring out in the spring

Cool, Jack. The little currant plants got stuck in the ground this fall. We can dig em back up, tho, and you can take all the cuttings you want. Arne.

I also like to get the 3 gal port kits and add 2 gals of elderberry, blackberry or raspberry juice and keep feeding them sugar until the are exhausted and then dump in the Fpac and let it age a little while. Crackedcork

Yesterday I ordered Barolo and Shiraz Vino Italiano kits from Amazon. I'm going to use one of these as a base for elderberry - 3#/g with grape juice instead of water should make a huge diff.

Bottle it, put it on the bottom shelf and forget about it for a year. How long did you leave the pulp in the primary? CC

I made up a batch of elderberry a year or so ago. It is still in the carboy. Anyway, drew a little out a while back, and really didn't like the taste. Made a batch of blush with it, and it is not quite as bad, but still. Stretched this out well as I made a batch of skeeter pee with the lees. That was not my best project, but it all disappeared. I used 18 lb. of elderberries, cleaned and destemed and made 5 gal. with it. Took a sample to my local brew store and asked the owner to try it. He said he didn't like elderberry, but tried it anyway. Bad look onhis face, and said yup that is elderberry. He said it tasted right, and I'm thinking it isn't quite right. Have had a couple others taste it and they say it is ok. Had a friend taste it the other night and he almost spit it out. This is the strange part, he said it tasted like beer. He liked the other samples I gave him, just not the elderberry. His boy said it was pretty good. Anyway, I am kinda wondering if the strength of the juice varies across the country. I know Cracked Cork and a few others have made it out of pure juice or close to it. Thinking about trying some berries from somewhere else and see if they come out any better. These came from my backyard, so I have some control over them. Maybe should grub them out and try some other fruit. Arne.

Last edited:
This year instead of useing the white grape in the blush I am going with Welches grape juice concentrat (red)

This year instead of useing the white grape in the blush I am going with Welches grape juice concentrat (red)

Let me know how that taste, I might be interested in that.

Last year I back sweeten my Elderberry with the red grape I think I ended up useing three cans to get the taste I liked and on the blush I used the white grape to back sweeten

Arne did you use the recipe that Julie posted here on the forum

I made a 15 gallon batch in my conical fermenter last year and gave it away except for 2 bottles that I put away to see how it ages.

A woman that is a pilot for Delta and loves fine Europeon wines called me at 9PM to tell me it was the best wine she ever had.

The wine was about less then 9 months old.

I did treat it with egg white cause the tannens were high as I squeezed the berry bags hard a number of times.

Got about 35 gallons going this time including one 15 gallon batch with about 70 pounds of berries.

Be interested to see how that one turns out.

Boy, my spelling sucks!!!

Arne did you use the recipe that Julie posted here on the forum

Sure Jack, but it was from when you sent it to me. I think it is mostly just the elderberry flavor that is bothering me. Wish it wasn't as they are pretty easy to come by. Arne.

Latest posts

Back