Thoughts and prayers to Franklin Regional

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
If you haven't heard, I'm sure you will something today. This is a school district isn't that far from the one that I work in and like the other violence that happens in schools this school is not unlike the one here, the last place you would think violence would happen.

A 16 year student, stabbed 19 students and one adult, the adult was a security officer at the school. Four are in life threatening status.

My heart and prays go out to those who were hurt and the families but also to child that did this. We as adults and parents are missing the mark in our responsibility to our young adults. These children need help and they are being ignored.

As the spouse of a someone who works in an inner city school (and broke up a fight just last week).
I am always thankful when she arrives home unharmed

I made a comment once that working in a school is like working behind enemy lines.

I made a comment once that working in a school is like working behind enemy lines.

That is one of the counter arguments I have, when someone indicates teachers are over paid and only work a part time job.

Without getting back into the argument, I think my spouse earns every dime she is paid!

I am not a teacher but I know what they go thru, I see it all the time. I know most think they only work 7 hours a day, 9 months a year but I know that is far from the truth especially with all the fed and state mandates that keep constantly changing. Plus there are the children, we have more ADHD children than you can imagine. They can be very difficult to handle. And then there are the darlings who's parents insure them that no one in the school can touch them. I watched a 1st grade student stand in the middle of the hall, flip off the assistant principal and scream "F*** YOU at the top of his lungs and this is elementary. And we are considered one of the least violent schools in PA.

We never hear about this sort of thing at Catholic schools (I attended one).

I am beginning to think that this is because the teachers have a more freer hand.

Of course you do hear of sexual abuse by teachers, but we never hear anything about kids running amok and body counts.

That 1st grader that gave the finger, what was his punishment? I got to tell you that if that were in a catholic school, the punishment would have fit the crime and then some (by the school, the teacher, and the parents).

My heart goes out to those people.

I watched this on the news this morning,prayers are on everyone.

I think Canada as well as the States have to make some changes in the schools. Teachers and students should feel safe.

I watched this on the news this morning,prayers are on everyone.

I think Canada as well as the States have to make some changes in the schools. Teachers and students should feel safe.

Vernsgal,

The problem is that there is no change that can protect kids against a murdering rampage even if you installed metal detectors. I remember this one case where one boy pulled a fire alarm and another boy shot the students as they came out the front door.

What can be changed?

It has to start at home. Look at the Connecticut shootings, that boy had problems, Mom knew that but did not want to accept that her son maybe mentally sick. We need to stop worrying about the stigma of mental health having to be hidden in a closet.

I have not heard the news today but my heart goes out to all those kids and parents and school staff and teachers involved. Life is so very fragile. We live in such violent times, so much rage, so much anger, so much hurt and so much suffering. My wife is a teacher in a high school in NYC but where the greatest acts of carnage seem to take place is not in city schools but in suburban and small town schools. The schools, as Julie says, you might least suspect.

It has to start at home. Look at the Connecticut shootings, that boy had problems, Mom knew that but did not want to accept that her son maybe mentally sick. We need to stop worrying about the stigma of mental health having to be hidden in a closet.

I agree Julie. Too much is left for others to look after when it should always start at home.

Unbelievable. It is no longer those schools you might think it would be. I live in the country in a very nice area. In 1998 there was a major school shooting at a ninth grade dance. A teacher killed and several students shot. The shooters family ran a very respectable business for probably 40 years and are still here. I knew the family and met their young son numerous times. There was no clue. There often times never is until afterwards all of a sudden, you hear people say yeah he was different. Heck how many people say that about any one of us?

Just saying today it happens where and when you least expect it to. Our focuses must be with families and victims and not the shooter who is looking for attention. It is truly a sad day.

JohnT, I, also, went to a catholic school first thru eight and heaven help any of us if we even squirmed in our seats! But, sadly, that is not how it is today in Catholic schools well not here anyway. When a child needs any type of special attention, whether it is in educational special needs or special attention in discipline , the Catholic school sends to over to the public schools.

I have been told by my spouse that most inner city kids only throw down on school property.
They leave the shooting to on street stuff, especially if it is gang related.

However that being said my spouse had to sit through 2 different hearings with the parents of the girls who were fighting. The parents main complaint was that school officials did not do enough to either prevent the fight or break it up. Forget the fact the both girls had the others hair in their clenched fist.
And once pulled apart they jumped over the teachers back to start the fight again.

I my simple opinion it all starts at home. You are raised by a schmuck, you will have a schmuck!
We have kids who are disassociated with empathy, compassion and reality.
I always think of a parent's typical response when finding out their kids did something unspeakable "not kid", "my kid would never do that".
but they do....

....And I went to public school and turned out fine!

We never hear about this sort of thing at Catholic schools (I attended one).

I am beginning to think that this is because the teachers have a more freer hand.

Of course you do hear of sexual abuse by teachers, but we never hear anything about kids running amok and body counts.

That 1st grader that gave the finger, what was his punishment? I got to tell you that if that were in a catholic school, the punishment would have fit the crime and then some (by the school, the teacher, and the parents).

My heart goes out to those people.

My wife and me, and both of my kids attended Catholic school for 12 years each. JohnT you are absolutely right and statistics support your comment. It's sad that our Social State mentality accepts and expects so little from those it gives so much. JohnT I'll PM you the rest of my rant as we're not suposed to get too political here.

JohnT, I, also, went to a catholic school first thru eight and heaven help any of us if we even squirmed in our seats! But, sadly, that is not how it is today in Catholic schools well not here anyway. When a child needs any type of special attention, whether it is in educational special needs or special attention in discipline , the Catholic school sends to over to the public schools.

Julie, that was not my experience. I attend 12 years of Catholic school and more often than not the kids that got kicked out of public school were accepted in our school. And it is true that Catholic or private school kids that needed special educational consideration found it in the private sector. Now however, Federal money goes to local school districts to provide special education, counseling and so on for kids in private school. Each district meets with the private schools in the district to determine how the funds can best serve the private institution.

As this school is app. 5 miles from my house and I have a fraternity brother that is a teacher at Franklin, I was concerned that this is literally in my back yard. Our nieghborhood police and ambulance responded to this.

Without getting political, this is what happens when we absolve everyone of responsibility and accountability for thier actions. Maybe if we taught some morality and respect in school, this wouldn't happen.

Back