This was bizarre - what's going on?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased several 1.5L bottles of a cheap Red Rose' by Livingston Cellars to top off some of my Mustang grape carboys. Tonight, wanting a glass of wine from the topper bottle since none of mine is ready yet, I cracked open one of the remaining bottles of Livingston. Screw cap, so I'm unscrewing it and it seems hard. Then I get to the end and WHOOSH, a ton of air (CO2?) escapes and fogs the bottle inside. What the heck?

So I'm wondering two things now. First, was that probably CO2 escaping and how does a commercial winery not degas enough, or secondly, Did they not sorbate this and there were still some fermentable sugars present and if there were any yeasties in there they did their thing?

I'm totally stumped.

Drinking a glass, it's definitely carbonated. And now I'm somewhat concerned as I've added about 1.5L to my 5gal Mustang grape carboy as a topper. Bottle says "Contains Sulfites - Refrigerate after opening" (which I did NOT do)

Thoughts?

Rosès tend to be sold with just a touch of carbonation to them.
Last year I went to bottle a batch and noticed the bottles bubbling up a little bit and thought I screwed up. But this forum schooled me.
I compared to some store bought bottles I had, shook em up and noticed they had even more co2 in em. All good.

Whew..... Man I was really starting to wonder what was going on.
I suppose I just have to make sure to really degas my carboys where I've used this for topper?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back