Mosti Mondiale Third Day Amarone...part II

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled the Amarone,(pictured on page one)ended up with 25 bottles, 5 bottles lost from the overflow. But, the taste is just awesome. I will definitely purchase another.

I started the Amarone Mosti Mondiale with raisins, All Juice Masters Addition this last weekend,AJME078. I am carefully watching this one.
Room temperature 62, temperature of the fermentation (1st stage) 72. Stirring everyday making sure the crust is mixed in. This one doesn't seem as active as the other kit, (which is pictured on first page).

I can hear the activity when lifting the lid, and decided to take a temperature/hydrometer reading Wednesday. Hydrometer 1.050, now here is the kicker!!!!! The temperature read 82 degrees F. Now, this is at 2:00 in the morning before going to work. (Now, just wait a minute).Thinking I'm seeing things I checked again. Again, it read 82 degrees F. So, I went and got another thermometer and it said the same.

I wasn't able to checkthe temperaturethis morning, but if that is actually the temperature, then wouldn't it be reasonable to think that the activity of the wine may cause the wine temperature to heat up, and by having the heat wrap on the bucket, (first picture/page one), would cause the overflow? (heat wrap temperature+activity of wine temperature)!

Or maybe it is the raisins actively creating Friction among themselves which creates heat causing a higher temperature.
smiley29.gif
smiley29.gif
smiley24.gif

smiley29.gif

Is it Friday Yet?
smiley29.gif

If you have the brew belt on that one and it is 82 deg, turn it off. Keep monitoring the temp. You can probably get by for a few days. Is this one you leave in the primary longer? If so, when the temp gets down to about 65 turn it back on until finished. And no- unfortunately it isn't Friday yet
smiley19.gif

Oh, but appleman, this one with the temperature of 82 doesn't have a belt on it! It is just sitting in a room with the "room temperature" at 62 at day 3 when I checked the temperature.

So, this is my thinking of why my first batch of Amarone/Renaissance RE078 (pictured on page one), did the overflow thing. I did have the heat wrap on the bucket and am just wondering if the wine gets warm with a lot activity.

Fermentationof the sugars produces not just ethanol and carbon dioxide but also is exothermic so it creates it own heat.

masta said:
Fermentationof the sugars produces not just ethanol and carbon dioxide but also is exothermic so it creates it own heat.

OK..... You now have given my brainoverload..........

Do you actually memorize and know this stuff, or do you have to look it up each time you use it?
smiley36.gif

Congrates to you if you memorize it, I couldn;t do that, my brain is full......... as a matter of fact, my brain is so full, it started to store stuff at my wasteline
smiley36.gif

Very funny Jobe! Every time I learn something new I forget something old!

Well....all wine makers should know the basics of what is happening in their fancy white buckets.
smiley4.gif

I guess you don't want to hear about the many exothermic high and low pressurehydrogenation reactions I have worked on over the past19 years with all different types of catalysts like palladium or platinum on carbon, nickel...etc. ?
smiley29.gif

masta said:
You just described me Masta to a T. I produce alcohol, give off gases and am full of hot air!
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

In Brazil they have been producing E85 motor fuel for decades from sugar cane. They do it in 20,000 gal fermenters with a yeast that takes it from 0 to 20% abv in about 3 days. The tanks have internal cooling coils that 80F water is pumped through to keep the temp down. Without the cooling the yeast would cook itself.

SinceI have measured a 15 degree temperature risedue to the exothermic fermentationin a typical 23L (and has been confirm in this thread) I would say any larger volume than6 galswould need some sort of cooling to keep the temperaturein range. All wineries have cooling on their tanks for this reason.

Ihave seen this many timesat work due to the fact we are normally running the first scale up operations from a small volume done in a lab....keeps you on your toes!

I work in the Pharmaceutical industry and have had many jobs including organic synthesis production, hydrogenation, and currently preparing and developing cleaning documents and software forequipment used in the industry.
Sounds real fancy but it really isn't butmanyprocesses and equipment I have worked with have really helped me with learning and understanding the fundamentals and more technical aspects of wine making.

Sorry to hijack this thread jsmahoney...
smiley9.gif
Better get back on topic before I get fired!

Actually Masta, your not to off topic. Teaching us to think about the obvious is sometime a necessity. One would need toanticipate expansion due to heat from the yeast working, foaming etc, to chose the right size fermenter. Quite honestly, something I have never given much thought to, and haven't had much experience with. So I'm thankful for threads like this, your experience just reinforces our ability to rely on you. Thank you.

The diversity of topics no matter where they begin are the education of all of us. Besides we just found out more about you masta and learned more in the process of wine making. Thanks!

I never thought much about the wine heating itself up. My thought was a room at 62, keep the heat wrap on, gave me confidence that it will be at a constant warm temperature. I learned different.

I knew it would heat up but never thought that much for a small batch like 6 gallons!

Back