Mosti Mondiale Third Day Amarone...part II

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Does this mean I shouldn't just lay the lid on with a towel on top? If I place the lid on tight I can't get it off. Sure smells Good! This is the Mosti Mondiale Amarone on it's third day of fermentation.
20061221_163559_IMG_0104_Small.JPG
20061221_163658_IMG_0105_Small.JPG
Edited by: jsmahoney

You probably should get a regular wine primary fermenter. That looks like one of the 6.5 gallon beer and wine primaries. They aren't the best for vigorpus fermenter and I notice the brewers belt on it also. That explains the overflowing action. The gooey looking mess could ptentially lead to contamination. Clean the spillage up to keep critters from being attracted. If that isnt a 7.9 gallon primary- do yourself a big favor and get one. The smaller ones are usually ok for ight white wines, but the reds really should have the bigger capacity.

By the way, I love the color of it- it "must" smell great.
smiley1.gif

Yes, I unplugged the heater belt when I saw this, and carefuly cleaned up the mess. The room usually stay around 60 degrees, so thought it would need this belt. I think you are right in purchasing the 7.9 gallon primary. If this wine tastes as good as it smells, I will definitely will be makeing more of this one. Christmas is here soon, and I know I have some gift certificates to the Toy Store!
smiley4.gif

I dunno, that looks just like my primary and mine is a 7.9 gallon. I am only assuming by the print on it. Looks just like the ones George sells with the starter packages. I wouldn't think the brew belt would do that either. Don't they warm to like 75 degrees? That is what my normal summer temps for fermentation is. I have never had one foam like that. Dunno, maybe it is a smaller primary.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Simple way to find out the size- what size did you buy? Anyway- do you have another vessel you could split some out into? Even if you could take out a gallon or two, the ferment will subside in a day or two- especially if you removed the belt. Either way, buy another primary and make sure this one is 7.9 gallon and then you can make more batches faster.
smiley4.gif

Makes me want to try one of those kits!
smiley20.gif

This is the one George sells with the kit I bought. Reads on the bottom 6 U.S. Gal & 23 litres = TO BOTTOM RIM. I cleaned up the mess and pushed the lid on tighter. Just hate to do that, because it is so hard for me to get off. This one is to be stirred gently every day until the S.G. reaches 1020.

Last year I bought a lid remover for those times the lid gets snapped on tight. It removes the lid pretty easily. I don't remember if I got it from George or if I had bought it before I found this site. George, do you have such a beast? Kind of like a big plastic old fashioned canlid opener. Anyway just keep following the directions and let us know how this kit turns out. I think we all are anxious to get one underway and see how they compare to some others.

Heres a picture of the lid remover tool.

20061221_174136_lid_remover.jpg
Edited by: appleman

Mama mia thats one heck of a fermentation you have going there girl.
What did you do, throw some palmolive in there with it?
smiley36.gif

jsmahoney said:
This is the one George sells with the kit I bought. Reads on the bottom 6 U.S. Gal & 23 litres = TO BOTTOM RIM. I cleaned up the mess and pushed the lid on tighter. Just hate to do that, because it is so hard for me to get off. This one is to be stirred gently every day until the S.G. reaches 1020.

That is a 7.9 gallon bucket then. Same one I have. Looking inside the bucket where the wall changes is the "RIM" referred to. There is still close to two gallon capacity above the "rim".

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Why does it read 6 gal. on the bottom though. Youd think it would read its total capacity as in 6.5 or 7.9.

wadewade said:
Why does it read 6 gal. on the bottom though. Youd think it would read its total capacity as in 6.5 or 7.9.

It might be a smaller bucket, it looks just like mine though. I have that same brand bucket. If you look at the rings on the outside of that bucket, the bottom ring is the 6 US gallon mark. There is a ring on the inside of the bucket at the same mark as the bottom outside ring. There is still a couple gallons (about 3 inches) of capacity above that ring/rim.

I looked at one of mine and it says 6.5 Imperial Gallons on the bottom of it. The other one is full so I can't look at it. hey are both the same though.I still have a feeling that it is the same bucket as I have. Also, if he bought a starter Wine kit from George, it will be the 7.9 bucket. If I remember, his beer kit buckets had a different design on them. I could be wrong though.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I don't think it says 6 gallons, it says"6 US GALS & 23 LITERS = TO BOTTOM RUNG" and that'stowards the bottom under the graduated ticks for measuring various volumes. If you flip the bucket upside down and look on the very bottom it will read 6.5 Imperial gallons (if it's a 7.9)

My first thought was the same as smurfes because I once made the mistake of going past that mark myself. It's hard to tell where the liquid level is in the pics because of all the foam.

Has anyone else had this issue w/ the juice kits and a 7.9 gal primary?

sangwitch said:
I don't think it says 6 gallons, it says"6 US GALS & 23 LITERS = TO BOTTOM RUNG" and that'stowards the bottom under the graduated ticks for measuring various volumes. If you flip the bucket upside down and look on the very bottom it will read 6.5 Imperial gallons (if it's a 7.9)

My first thought was the same as smurfes because I once made the mistake of going past that mark myself. It's hard to tell where the liquid level is in the pics because of all the foam.

Has anyone else had this issue w/ the juice kits and a 7.9 gal primary?

Yup, you are correct. I just looked at the side of mine. Says the same thing.He has the same bucket. If you look down inside the bucket you can see the ring, that is the 6 US gallon mark. Makes it easy to fill while doinga 6 gallon kit. I guess I am just stressing all of this so he don't go and order a 7.9 gallon bucket when he already has one.

I have never had a kit foam up like that one. I have made an Amarone but of a different brand. Didn't foam anything like that one. The only thing I have ever had come close was the Joe M's mead in a carboy that erupted and overflowed. Wonder if all MM kits foam like that one? I guess I will remember to use my 10 gallon primary if I make that kit. I did a Crushendo but used my 10 gallon primary for it. Many make them in their 7.9 bucket and I could see that coming close. Mine foamed quite a bit (Super Tuscan).

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

JS,
We are all rambling on trying to figure this out, but it should be just about past the violent ferment stage. Finish it up in the primary stage and rack to secondary at the specified time. After it is empty, check all over it for identifying marks, but the best way is to take a big measuring cup and add six gallons to it. Take a permanent magic marker and mark the water level(or at a minimum check to see which ring it is). This will tell you where to fill to next time.

Unless you have several already, if you plan on making more than one kit, getting a second bucket is never a bad idea.
smiley1.gif

I am glad I saw this post. I am headed to my local homebrew store this afternoon to get some fermenters. I would have just got the 6 gallon ones that I use for beer. Now I know to get the bigger ones. Going to get a couple 6 gallon carboys too.

Tom

This is the kit that I was worried about when I followed everything to a "t" I thought! The temperature was 62 degrees in the fermentation bucket prior to adding my yeast. I had already soaked my yeast in cupand the instructions said "DO NOt" soak yeast any longer than the required 15 minutes. I ended up placeing the cup with the yeast in it in a bowl of warm water to keep it warm and placed a paper towel over it to help keep warm. It was like that for one hour and fifteen minutes until I could get the temperature up to 70 in the bucket.

I had placed the heating wrap around the bucket to help heat the juice. The room I use for wine making stays at 60 degrees.

Here are todays pictures after the mess yesterday.
20061222_153010_IMG_0107_Small.JPG
20061222_153042_IMG_0106_Small.JPG
20061222_154014_IMG_0109_Small.JPG

It's looking more under control now
smiley32.gif
I t definitely looks like the 7.9 gallon bucket. You are even a hair under the 6 gallon ring, so everything was as should be. Should turn out great.
smiley20.gif

I am sorry I missed this thread until now. The bucket is the 7.9 gallon bucket. I have seen the Crushendo's foam up almost this much,but not over the top. I will contact Mosti Mondiale after Christmas to see what they think and what they recommend going forward. If theirkits are going to be that active,we may need to look at larger fermenters.

On a side note, I talked with a customer making the Chianti with raisins and he did not experience this, but didsay the aroma was the best of any kit he has made so far.

I think thefermentation is dying down, so just proceed per the instructions. As soon asI talk with MM, I will posttheir inputand advice.

Back