They say there is no stupid question....so here we go.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambiying

Reaction score
Those plastic bags and flavor packs that come in kits. They have those big plastic spout things on them that you are supposed to open and pour the juice out of. Um, how the heck do you get the lid off the darn things??? I have resorted to just cutting a hole in the darn bags and pouring the liquid out that way because I can't figure out how to get the top off. I know, stupid, but I can handle all the chemicals, cleaning, sanitizing....I just can't open them!!!

And is that what you are actually supposed to do, or do you not really know how to open them either??:p

I use a bottle opener .. Just like popping the top off a coke bottle except you use the end that's made for punching a hole.

bambiying said:
Those plastic bags and flavor packs that come in kits. They have those big plastic spout things on them that you are supposed to open and pour the juice out of. Um, how the heck do you get the lid off the darn things??? I have resorted to just cutting a hole in the darn bags and pouring the liquid out that way because I can't figure out how to get the top off. I know, stupid, but I can handle all the chemicals, cleaning, sanitizing....I just can't open them!!!

I cut it also. I've seen openers just for those.

I just slip a butter knife between the bottom of the cap and the container and give it a little pry. It comes off pretty easily by hand once you get it up a little bit.

I did as carlb mentioned.
I too was having a time of it and was afraid I was going to have juice all over the place.

There are special openers for those caps. But, like loner, I use an old beer can opener. Only I use the flat end of it.

I use the special opener, which is really cheap and will last a lifetime. It came with my original wine equipment kit.

I have a similar opener meant for prying up the bucket lids it works fine for the bag caps also.:D

I use a pair of pliers for the juice bags. The instructions on some of the grape packs say to cut the bag open at one of the corners. The grape packs are too hard to squeeze out the filling hole anyway.

I use a big flat head screwdriver that is usually nearby. They can be annoying - but at least you know they are well-sealed.

I just slip a butter knife between the bottom of the cap and the container and give it a little pry. It comes off pretty easily by hand once you get it up a little bit.

Ditto! [7,8,9]

Channel lock pliers and it pops right off. Try different things to see which works best for ya!

I have never not been able to get one off with my bare hands... yes they are often a bear to get but I always have managed so far. if I couldn't get one I'd go get the channel locks

Latest posts

Back