The Malolactic Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palomewok

Junior
Reaction score
I have a question:

Is it too late to try MLF on my 2 months on a carboy wine? I have applied the Meta Bisulfite the first time I put it into the carboy, I reracked it once already. I have 10 gallons of Merlot and 10 of cab. I am very interested in developing some malic acids for more complexity of my wine. But I would like to know if the sulfite already added will affect this MLF process.

Thanks in advance

Check for free S02. If you have more than 15-20 ppm it will be very hard to get mlf going. Also what do you mean by develop malic acid. Mlf doesn't create malic acid, it converts it to the milder form of acid- lactic acid. It would be a good thing to do on the cab and merlot, but make sure the sulfites aren't too high.

It is never too late.

Like above it is all a matter of how much free SO2 you have in your wine.

How much k-meta have you added to your wine?

Check for free S02. If you have more than 15-20 ppm it will be very hard to get mlf going. Also what do you mean by develop malic acid. Mlf doesn't create malic acid, it converts it to the milder form of acid- lactic acid. It would be a good thing to do on the cab and merlot, but make sure the sulfites aren't too high.

Ok I will check the S02, I just would like to make sure I dont tuin the wine, this is gonna be my first time tryng, I dont wanna ruin my wine. I still would like to develop more complexity to the cab and merlot, do you think this is a good method? is there anything else you might suggest?

Thanks guys!

It is never too late.

I added some when I put it in the carboys, after the fermentation, like a 1/4 tbs every 5 gallons. I recacked it and put some more again (another 1/4 tbs per 5 gallons), I guess I need to get some instrument to measure the S02.

Thanks

If you have added an addition 1/2 tsp since fermentation, you will likely have a hard time getting mlf going. If it tastes good to you, I think I would forego trying mlf on these. Unless you can verify the freeS02 level as in the under 15-20 range, it will be difficult to get it working. S02 inhibits bacterial growth and that is why it is used in the wine. Mlb is a bacteria after all.

It is never too late.

how do I check the free SO2 in my wine? i mean what instrument can I use?

I have to agree grapeman as the S02 will be clearly higher the recommended for MLF. 2 additions since fermentation is surely above what most MLb can handle. If you really want to know for knowledge then there are several tests for S02. One is Accuvin So2 test kit.
http://www.finevinewines.com/p-358-301-10.aspx
Then there is also a more accurate and easier to read result here with the oxidation method.
http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/18643//Economy_Aeration-Oxidation_Free_SO2_Test_Kit
Then there is the Vinometrica S02 test which is new on the market which is a digital test unit for about $250 then it goes up to around $600 with a top notch Hannatest unit!

I have to agree grapeman as the S02 will be clearly higher the recommended for MLF. 2 additions since fermentation is surely above what most MLb can handle. If you really want to know for knowledge then there are several tests for S02. One is Accuvin So2 test kit.
http://www.finevinewines.com/p-358-301-10.aspx
Then there is also a more accurate and easier to read result here with the oxidation method.
http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/18643//Economy_Aeration-Oxidation_Free_SO2_Test_Kit
Then there is the Vinometrica S02 test which is new on the market which is a digital test unit for about $250 then it goes up to around $600 with a top notch Hannatest unit!

So, If i Cant run MLB on my wine, is it gonna be likely high on acid? is there anything I can do? or should be worried about? too much sulfite? if I wanna rerack for a second time, Should I stop adding k meta? Im planning to keep my wine at least 6 months on the carboys, im already in my 3rd month, and planing to re reacking at least twice before bottling. Is there anything you would recomend to do to it, before that process? l mean like adding glyicerine for the body or anything else. Suggestions are welcome, thanks

You would have to do an acid test (also in the tutorial section).

Your acids will mellow somewhat over time. Wine goes thru many changes, both in a carboy and in the bottle. You may be worrying more than need to. You have 2 of what are called the fabulous 5 wines. These are good hardy wines. Time, oaking if you like and maybe a hint of sugar prior to bottling (month) can really bring out the grape flavor.

I believe I backsweetend even my Merlot 2 or 4 points on the hydrometer creating a big taste difference. Now it's ageing in the bottle and will be better over time.

One thing at a time. Let's see how much free sulfite you have then we can give you options.

Did you decide to do MLF on your wine? I'm considering it on my frontenac and like your wine it has been in the carboy for a over a month. I also added k-meta and calcium carbonate (I read this reduces acidity). After reading some of the posts here I'm thinking malolactic fermentation would have been a better choice. I'm going to check the acidity now to see where things are at.

Back