Chromatography question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
First time doing chromatography for Malolactic on reds - it’s been going for a few weeks (since 10/16) - I have the ever so slightest hint of a showing for malic acid on my cab franc - obviously still more to go on the cab sauv - not sure if people can tell from the photo but I’m trying to decide if what I’m seeing in the cab franc is just a ghost of the lactic acid being pulled upward and if I should add sulfites. I’m leaning towards yes.

Attachments

• E63C5E19-3607-4B91-A0DF-80A21CD5C80B.jpeg
    E63C5E19-3607-4B91-A0DF-80A21CD5C80B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
You are only a month into Malolactic Fermentation and I'm pretty sure I see an indication of malic acid still present in your Cab Franc. I would wait at least another month, before adding sulfites. One thing to keep in mind, paper chromotography shows completely gone at about 50 ppm and below 30 is considered all gone. I don't even take my first test until about 2 months after inoculation.

You are only a month into Malolactic Fermentation and I'm pretty sure I see an indication of malic acid still present in your Cab Franc. I would wait at least another month, before adding sulfites. One thing to keep in mind, paper chromotography shows completely gone at about 50 ppm and below 30 is considered all gone. I don't even take my first test until about 2 months after inoculation.

Ok I have them both in Blichmann Wineasys with the piston acting as a VCT lid which forms a very tight seal (with an airlock) so I assume I'll be OK from a oxidation perspective letting it go for awhile? I did take (I think your) advice and basically split the package of freeze dried bacteria between the two wines even though it was more than needed to innoculate, if that matters.

Latest posts

Back