The Cats Meow Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a plan!

But ya gotta work on that door man - 30" x 36"? That's a doggie door.....

May have to do that trashy..Well it has been a busy day for me and Im about ready to call it a day. My parting contribution for the day:

Grabbed my camera this evening and took a few shots around my place I wanted to share with you. Everythng is so green and beautiful right now. This first picture is from my drive, looking South towards my neighbors. Old Glory waves proudly daily at my place.

DSCN0001-7.jpg

These next pictureis looking west towards the Cats Meow Wineyard.

DSCN0002-5.jpg

The Elderberries are coming right along, not sure if they will produce anything this year but I am hoping.

DSCN0004-6.jpg

DSCN0005-7.jpg

After alll the cold spells and rain the Muscadines are growing again.

DSCN0006-7.jpg

As you can see, some are just about to wire height and will be ready to start training down the wire.

DSCN0007-1.jpg

Blackberries are blooming now too.

DSCN0008-6.jpg

Looking back east I see my ole fishing rig beckoning me to take her to the river for a while. I will sucumb to her call but not this weekend.

DSCN0010-3.jpg

My buddy Cheyene hangs pretty close to me when I am outside.

DSCN0011-4.jpg

Such a beautiful day.........God is good........Life is good !!Edited by: Waldo

AH Ha! I knew behind that gruff exterior spouting cats on all you do, There was a dog! What a sweet looking dog.
Plants look really good, the Elderberries look awesome and the vines look like they want to please their Master! You probably have a similar soil to ours here, I found that they like fertilizer and cow manure, they grow like weeds.

Thanks for taking us on your walk this evening, it was nice.

Cheyene knows to guard the cellar?
smiley20.gif
I lost a grandmother couple years back ,lived in El Dorado, was just like being there for a minute or two, Thanks.

Beautiful place their Waldo. It was like my day, I weed-wacked the
yard, mowed the lawn, plasticed and insulated the walls and finished
sheetrocking and taped and put 1st coat of compound on. Someone drank
too much coffee.
smiley36.gif

Thanks for sharing Waldo,

"I weed-wacked the yard, mowed the lawn, plasticed and insulated the walls and finished sheetrocking and taped and put 1st coat of compound on"

Man I stopped after weed whacking and mowing, but I have to say you two have kept the imaginative juices flowing. I keep looking at the NE corner of the garage is a funny little way.

Waldo I would love to Drink ..er I mean weather a storm down your way..The Cats Meow looks awsome....I too spent all day working the yard....I think you named it Cats Meow just to piss off the dog...haahaha

I enjoyed the evening with you too Waldo, beautiful place you have there, and you are absolutely right. God is good and life is spectacular. Edited by: jsmahoney

Thanks for a walk in the park...

Are those the blackberries that you grew from cuttings???

Glad someone is getting rain...it is so dry here. Your soil looks like clay and will hold the moister. You sure have nice big trees...oaks???

I spent most of the day watering flowers and treed that were set out this spring....then I took out the lawn mower for the first time this year....usually the first mowing of the year is like making hay.....but....this year there were places where I couldn't tell if I had mowed or not.

Crops are getting planted in a timely way, but in a cloud of dust. Need rain...

I'm with you there NW. Been real dry here for the last month. We got about 7 inches in early April and now haven't had much- like .25 inches so far this month. I still haven't bothered mowin the lawn yet and am actually sprinkling it now to try to get it to turn green and not look like mid-July.

Thanks all..glad you enjoyed the stroll through the Cats meow Wineyard and nowto try and answer some of the questions posed..I hope I get them all. If not, holler at me again
smiley36.gif

NW The Blackberries are from the cuttings I did last year, The trees are Oak and maples, s&^t...see I already forgot the others so going to have to go back and read the posts again...Oh yes NW...Our soil is primarily clay

Hey folks. well first of all ole Waldo has been down with the "crud" for a few days now and still battling it. I had finished the cellar last week and had intended on having it stocked by now but that just hasn't happened. I did manage to muster enough energy to get a few cases moved in early this morning but just ran out of steam so will finish it as soon as I get to feeling better.Here are a couple of pictures of my progress thus far.
cmcellar2.jpg

cmcellar3.jpg

cmcellar3.jpg

I have checked it twice daily a couple of times during the last week and the temp is staying right at 62 degrees so I think I will be ok there. I have 5 more cases of bottled wine to move into the cellar and have 28 gallons bulk aging that is ready to bottle. I am just wondering if it might not get a bit cooler if I block off the turbine vent on top of the cellar.

I would try it Waldo, although it may effect the temperature, it may also raise the humidity to a more acceptable level, if it isn't already.

If not, you won't be guessing anymore!

Edit: Are you going to put like a small cot down there?.................

Is there a lock on the door?........................

That was Arkansas right?...........

Just wondering...........
smiley2.gif
smiley4.gif
Edited by: jobe05

Waldo: Since I work for Emergency Management, maybe I should come over and inspect that cellar - and just to help you out. Is that 28 gallons bulk aging all the same flavor - or do I get to inspect more than one kind??? Sorry you've had the crud. I was in D.C. the first week in April, came home with something that really knocked me for a loop. Took five weeks to get over that - can you imagine five weeks without taking an SG or listening to the gentle blurps of air locks?? Oh well, feeling better now and I've started some new batches. Yes, life is grand ! Hope you're feeling better, too.

jobe05 said:
I would try it Waldo, although it may effect the temperature, it may also raise the humidity to a more acceptable level, if it isn't already.

If not, you won't be guessing anymore!

Edit: Are you going to put like a small cot down there?.................

Is there a lock on the door?........................

That was Arkansas right?...........

Just wondering...........
smiley2.gif
smiley4.gif
Decided to go with a recliner instead of a cot jobe, Also hung a 32" plasma tv on one wall and now I just go down there in the dark and wonder what is on tv as I have no electricty down there.
smiley36.gif

I did put a bucket over the vent to see what if any difference it will make but havent been back down to check yet. I gave in to my wife's wishes and went to the doctor yesterday.Dr. Pat just grinned real big when she saw me coming in. Got a death grip on my wallet and wouldn't turn loose until she had shot me full of steriods and wrote me enough prescriptions to cure half the ills of any 3rd world country. I hate doctors and medicine
smiley11.gif

Anyway, onne of the things on my to do list as soon as I kick this crud is to get me a good lock for the door. It already has a hasp for a lock and will have to give all the neighbors a key as I have always had an "open door" policy for the cellar to anyone when we were not home during any stormy weather.

Edited by: Waldo

Country Vines said:
Waldo: Since I work for Emergency Management, maybe I should come over and inspect that cellar - and just to help you out. Is that 28 gallons bulk aging all the same flavor - or do I get to inspect more than one kind??? Sorry you've had the crud. I was in D.C. the first week in April, came home with something that really knocked me for a loop. Took five weeks to get over that - can you imagine five weeks without taking an SG or listening to the gentle blurps of air locks?? Oh well, feeling better now and I've started some new batches. Yes, life is grand ! Hope you're feeling better, too.

Hey Country.....Come on over anytime. The 28 gallons bulk aging are a Spiced Mead, Muscadine, Black Currant-Muscadine , Plum and Port

Nice work Waldo! Hope you feel better soon
smiley6.gif
. As far as your open door policy...If a bad storm was moving towards New Berlin at 35mph how long would it take for me to drink....er...I mean drive to your shelter for .....safety?

Latest posts

Back