The Cats Meow Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I have been busy getting my storm cellar converted into a wine cellar. Will post some pictures on the project later. It is a pre fab concrete cellar and has always seeped a little water through the seam where it was manufactured from two pieces but I never worried about it too much because over the course of a year it never got much over 4-5 gallons of water and I would just vacum it out. Well, I bought some concrete sealer and have put two coats on the seam, will do the same to the to the floor seams as soon as the rain quits later this week. I have also put 1" blueboard insulation on the ceiling and have insulated the walls 24" down from the ceiling. I felt that since there was only about 4" of the walls above ground level that this would suffice for the walls. Time will tell. I am going to build somethe racks for my wine storage and am limited as to what size I can build by the restrictions of the door opening on the cellar which is 30" tallx 36" wide. Got my first rack finished yesterday evening. It is made of treated 2 x10 for the sides, cedar for the racks and the header and footer is pine. Will give at all a coat of clear poly before I move it into the cellar. I am no carpenter as you can tell but I was going for functional. Did add a personal touch to it by using my brand to put the cats meow logo on it.
rack1.jpg

Also bought this rack on e-Bay and should get it about Friday.
wnssr_11.jpg

Very cool Waldo, where did you get the brand? Did someone make it for
you? That scalloped top looks like a template for building a scalloped
wine rack.

Edited by: wade

Well now, that is the Cats Meow. When you get it done, you will be all stocked in case you ever need to stay along time in the Shelter. Love the burned logo. It looks like a tigered cat to me!

wade said:
Very cool Waldo, where did you get the brand? Did someone make it for you? That scalloped top looks like a template for building a scalloped wine rack.

A friend of mine at work made the brand for me wade. It is cut out of 1/4" Stainless plate so it should last forever.

Waldo said:
wade said:
Very cool Waldo, where did you get the brand? Did someone make it for you? That scalloped top looks like a template for building a scalloped wine rack.

A friend of mine at work made the brand for me wade. It is cut out of 1/4" Stainless plate so it should last forever.

Great idea, I'll have to take the torches tomorrow and see if I can cut out a Lobster!!..lol...
smiley20.gif

Waldo that looks Great!!! Super Job!! Just a side thought if you are limited with the door opening you could build the rack in the wine cellar instead of outside.....
smiley2.gif

I thought of that Benny but I wanted the option of taking them out if necessary.

I like functional, when my wife critiques my work, I tell her I was going after that rustic look.
smiley36.gif

Looking good Waldo and make sure you still leave room to get in there to take shelter in case bad weather comes your way!

Id make that extra room right next to your wine rack and have a spare corker there also!
smiley36.gif

masta said:
Looking good Waldo and make sure you still leave room to get in there to take shelter in case bad weather comes your way!

Will definately do that Masta. We had a couple of benches and chairs in the cellar which I have removed andwill replace them with those fold up type chairs that come in the bags.

and i didnt take up wood crafts because the stuff would pile up about
the house. Well i decorate the house now with wire racks and of course
bottles.

and cases of empties to be refilled. fast approching 500 750ml and 50 1.5 ltrs.

well the wine sure goes better with food than the wood crafts would.

Thats a big plus for the Wine Hobby.

Waldo, now you can look forward to severe weather! Every time you hear thunder just head for the cellar. I mean, better to be safe than sorry, right?

Come on down Benny & trashyand we will weather out a storm together, or a heat wave, or cold snap, or whatever other reason we can find to go into the cellar. Worked on it a good bit more today, along with the yard. I am hopeful that by next weekend it will be serving its intended purpose.

Latest posts

Back