The Cats Meow Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would only take a half a day..if you travel by.......dragonfly !!!!

Work has continued on The Cats Meow Wine Cellar so I thought a few more pictures may be in order. First off, I found these ceramic scones, I believe they are called, at a yard sale a while back and for a buck apiece I figured they might fit in the scheme of the wine cellar somewhere

scone.jpg

Yesterday evening I decided a good place for them would be on the cellar door.

cellardoor-1.jpg

My plans are now to maybe dress them up a little with some paint, paint the cellar door and carve out a large piece of grapevine to fit between them with "The Cats Meow Wine Cellar" carved into the grape vine. The next couple of pictures are my rendition in Adobe of how that might possibly look. I am definately open for suggestions as artistic, I am not.

sconepainted.jpg

cellardoorpainted.jpg

I got all of my currently bottled wines moved into the cellar except for 20 bottles I am leaving in the rack in the dining room.

Went down into the cellar this evening to take these pictures to share with you and it was a nice cool 64 degrees. I am still going to close off the turbine vent this weekend and see how it does.

rack1-1.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack4.jpg

Added a little finishing touch to my home made rack too by glueing some old corks along the top edge

rack5.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo,I like the corks...I have been saving some...hope to do something with them.
Nice score on the corbels......
smiley20.gif

My opinion....If you are going to paint the door and those beautiful corbels..maybe do them all the same color...maybe an antique finish...and put a sign between the corbels...Maybe paint a fresco style...like sponge painting...to give it depth and an antique look....just my opinion...No matter what you do they will be beautiful....
smiley20.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
Waldo,I like the corks...I have been saving some...hope to do something with them.
Nice score on the corbels......
smiley20.gif

My opinion....If you are going to paint the door and those beautiful corbels..maybe do them all the same color...maybe an antique finish...and put a sign between the corbels...Maybe paint a fresco style...like sponge painting...to give it depth and an antique look....just my opinion...No matter what you do they will be beautiful....
smiley20.gif

I like that idea NW...THANKS !!!

It's a special paint that when it dries gives an antiqued look. I leaves small cracks in it. Used on woodwork.
Here is a link to DIY to show you an example(but I don't like their color choice)

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_faux_finishes/article/0,2025,DIY_13754_2268370,00.htmlEdited by: appleman

Crackle paint kits might only be for interior...you paint on a substance, then paint over it and the cracks like it looks on old furniture, like when someone paints over a varnish and it looks so aged.......it's nice on tables and ornamental/craft items...It's a faux finish...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cda/article_print/0,1983,DIY_13754_2268370_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

It would be nice on your door if you could get an exterior quality.I would love to see something like that on your door.

But you can get an aged look by using two colors of paint [in your case exterior] that are very close to the same shade, they sell a roller tray with two compartments and a roller that is divided, you roll on the two colors at the same time then use a sponge and daub them together to create the faux look...it's very nice....
Or you can paint on one of the colors and just daub a sponge in the other color...blob some ofthe paintoff the sponge on a board to dry the sponge a bit...and then randomly sponge over your base coat....Practice on some boards or cardboard.here are many techniques to sponge painting. Use a very neutral color for greatest effect....tans, grays, etc.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/spongepainting

A grape vine draped between the corbels would finishEdited by: Northern Winos

Crackle paint is not only for interior. They sell it to put on motors
too as thats where I seen it first. My friend restored an old pan head
and used that paint on his whole motor except where he chromed the
accessories. Looked awesome.

Thanks all for the hints and tips. Will do some looking at Home Depot tomorrow and see what I can com up with, Went down to water my Muscadines this morning and "viola" , my Elderberries are blooming nicely.

WoooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
elderberries3.jpg

elderberries2.jpg

elderberries1.jpg

Any tips on what to use to spary for insect control and when it should be done would be much appreciated.

Hey, keep the pictures coming Waldo, I think I have some of these in our pasture! I didn't know what they were.
smiley5.gif

I'm going to have to take a close look at these, we have them along the creek ditches. I have been told the deer love to eat them, but they were poisonous to us. I'll have to check it out! Edited by: jsmahoney

There are some that grow near here...they have red berries....some say they are poisonous....the birds always beat you to them....

I have read up on them and still haven't come to any conclusion as to whether they are really poisonous or not.

Back